Inspiron 1545: No boot, no beeps, no screen

Closed
sadlaptop - Aug 25, 2010 at 05:52 AM
Appvoz Posts 2 Registration date Friday September 11, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 14, 2015 - Sep 14, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Hey Everyone,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7 64-bit. It is just over 1 year old which means it is less than 2 weeks out of warranty.

Last week, I went to turn it on out of sleep mode. When I pressed the power button, the power light came on and the fan turned on but the screen did not light up, not even the backlight. When I pressed the power button a second time, the whole laptop powered down again without needing to hold the button for five seconds. I thought it might be stuck from a bad sleep cycle, so I unplugged it and took out the battery, pressed the power button once to clear any stored electricity, and then plugged it back in without battery. Again it would not boot up but after trying 3 or 4 times, *bam*, it just started working again without problem. I could turn it off, boot it up, etc.

Yesterday, sadly, the same thing happened. After a sleep mode, the computer will not boot. This time I followed all the same steps as above without success.

I reseated the memory, as well as testing both modules individually. No change. Even when both sticks were removed, there were no changes.

I removed the hard drive and reseated it, also sadly to no change.

Now, when the power button is pressed, the power light turns on, the fan spins up, the hard drive spins up in its normal way, and the dvd drive blinks. But there is no screen including backlight, no beeps, and nothing else happens.

If I do the diagnostic test of holding the power button down as the laptop is powered on, I get 7 straight beeps without pauses in between or change in length.

I would appreciate any help you could suggest, especially if any of you have run into a similar problem before. Thanks!

Sincerely,

SadLaptop

2 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 25, 2010 at 05:57 AM
Hello,

Try this 1.

Click on the below link and follow the instructions.

https://ccm.net/computing/hardware/1535-computer-boots-to-black-screen/

If the problem still exists, then click on the below link and follow the instructions.

https://ccm.net/computing/hardware/1535-computer-boots-to-black-screen/

Good Luck.
Thanks for the quick response, jack4rall. I'm afraid that the first solution didn't work which is sad because it sounded right up the alley.

In regards to the second, I have tried cleaning/reseating the RAM sticks both together and individually and in both slots when individually. After each change, I replicated the steps from the first solution. Sadly, this did not work either.

I will attempt to find a friend with an external monitor I could use this evening in order to test that theory.

Thanks again for the input.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Aug 25, 2010 at 07:08 AM
Pardon the intrusion, if I may, I also suggest that you check the monitor for burntout lights which often occurs with Dell. Look at the screen from a sharp angle, use a light at the opposite angle. If you see a glimps of the desktop, it would be the light.

Good luck
Hey Ambucias,

Thanks for the tip. I'm afraid I was unable to see anything. I tried the light on both sides of the monitor and watching for about a minute after pressing the power button. I'll make sure to keep an eye on it though.
Just wanted to add to the thread here that I removed the CMOS chip from the laptop for 5 minutes as well, based on the advice from another forum:

https://www.delltechnologies.com/en-us/blog/

I'm afraid I'm running out of great ideas short of getting a new laptop.

If anyone has any other things worth trying, I'd appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

- sadlaptop
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Aug 25, 2010 at 06:24 PM
Hello,
Its CMOS battery not CMOS chip. Did you tried connecting your laptop to an external monitor.
Connect your monitor and follow the instructions mentioned in the above link. Also check your
RAM. Even bad RAM will result you in display problem.
Good Luck.
Hey,

I did the check the RAM and it worked fine. I both used new working RAM in the broken laptop as well as tried the original RAM on a second laptop. It worked fine in the second laptop.

Also, I was finally able to try it on an external monitor but unfortunately there was no signal. And I did make sure to try the function keys as well for switching to monitor.

At this point, unless anyone has any clever ideas, I feel that it is probably the motherboard.

Thanks again.

- sadlaptop
Appvoz Posts 2 Registration date Friday September 11, 2015 Status Member Last seen September 14, 2015 > sadlaptop
Sep 14, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Hi Sadlaptop... Just want to know what happend to this issue? My Dell inspiron 1545 as of now Sept 2015 are going on the same problem and stuation as you post your issue 5 years ago... As in same problem. Used it night and the following morning it didn't work. Power OK, fan, dvd, hard disk is running but no beep sound, no boot up and black screen.... All suggested troubleshoot from the forumn tried already but, nothing happend..Did you fix your laptop? If yes, can you share what did you do to your unit... Hope to hear from you...