USB displays but cant be used/accessed

Closed
Confuzzled - Sep 1, 2010 at 05:41 AM
 Confuzzled - Sep 3, 2010 at 05:38 AM
Hello,

I have a problem with a USB drive and I cant find anything on the internet. I think I may have screwed something up by possibly pulling it out without safely removing... Now when I insert the flash drive, the light flashes on the drive and I see Removable Disk (G:) in My Computer (Vista 32bit) but when trying to open it, I get 'Please insert into G: etc etc...' Any action in My Computer, e.g. right-clicking properties on the drive or double-clicking it takes forever to work.

I need a way of either accessing the drive to use or being able to reformat it somehow so I can recover it later. Or another method if there is one.

The USB is a Verbatim Store N Go 4GB, a fairly common one. It contained a lot of important work from the last 3 years and was in the middle of backing up one computer onto another, so I have none of it. It does the same thing on any other computer I try, running XP or 7. Please help?

I tried safely removing it but it says it is in use.

I tried chkdsk but it displays as RAW formatting (which means it's screwed itself over already)

If I start the computer up with the USB in, it takes 10+ minutes to load what normally takes <5 secs (one of the screens before Vista itself loads, and before you can choose which drive to boot from.) I give up after that.

I'm going to try and reformat it as best I can, if that doesnt work what do I do?

Related:

3 responses

oh
attach your flash drive to usb port and..
just restart your pc using windows xp bootable cd(any)
press any key to b oot from cd..
after some time setup will ask drive to install windows xp
but dont install just locate your usb drive and delete partition(press d to delete) and then press c to create partition.
exit cd
reboot
and enjoy.......
Tried that but the USB isn recognised. Tried it in two ports but it only displays my two hard drives, plus 'Disc on disk' which has no partitions and no space (I think it's the CD drive, but not sure.) I can't scroll down, page down, etc etc.

On another note, putting the USB into the computer seems to slow it down massively at any stage before the OS loads. I need to put it in when the hardware configuration is being detected.

I suspect if I dont put it in at this stage it isnt detected at all, but I think it froze when I put it in at that point ><
Tried that (tejas suggestion) but the USB isn recognised. Tried it in two ports but it only displays my two hard drives, plus 'Disc on disk' which has no partitions and no space (I think it's the CD drive, but not sure.) I can't scroll down, page down, etc etc.

On another note, putting the USB into the computer seems to slow it down massively at any stage before the OS loads. I need to put it in when the hardware configuration is being detected.

I suspect if I dont put it in at this stage it isnt detected at all, but I think it froze when I put it in at that point ><
:( Still nothing?