Connect PC to a external wireless network

Closed
cyraah - Sep 2, 2010 at 07:41 AM
 cyraah - Sep 7, 2010 at 02:32 AM
Hello,

my question is: if I want to configure wireless Internet on a desktop PC do I need both router and wireless adapter? Somebody told me that the adapter should be enough, so I've bought it, installed it and even if it works properly, it doesn't find any networks to connect to. I must underline the fact that I don't want to connect to a home network, but to a free external one. My office is located in an area provided with free wireless internet acces by the town's Council House. My colleague has a Laptop and he can acces the network, but I can't. Can you pls tell me what should I do? Thank you very much, I would really appreciate it.

Related:

1 response

Jaz1311 Posts 10 Registration date Sunday September 5, 2010 Status Member Last seen September 26, 2010 2
Sep 6, 2010 at 11:47 AM
Yes you do need the router, because that is what locates the wireless networks outside your home telling you what is free and what is security protected. Wi Fi laptops, have the router and adapter already in the computer, so you would not need to buy that equipment.
As for you, you need both the adapter and the router, in order for you to search and connect.
hope that this helps.
Thank you very much for your answer, now everything it's clear. I have to buy a router too. This was really helpful. 10x for your time :)