Restore to Factory without disc

Closed
rockleesama Posts 3 Registration date Saturday September 4, 2010 Status Member Last seen September 6, 2010 - Sep 6, 2010 at 04:32 PM
closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 - Sep 7, 2010 at 09:10 AM
Alright,

So I deleted a registry file that I should not have, startup repair says that I have no system restore points (not sure why...), and I have no backup images of my computer saved. I am using an HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop that did not come with any recovery CDs. I have a backup partition, but I cannot access it at all (I upgraded to Windows 7 with a student copy that only has 1 install). Because of my corrupt registry, Windows cannot boot whatsoever. I tried plenty of solutions (I can boot linux live cd but I cannot figure out how to save my registry) and decided to just restore to factory default (I backed up any really important files with the linux boot). I tried hitting, holding, and everything else to f11 during boot process but it cannot load any sort of recovery for me. This is where my problem lies.

Does anyone know any way to force the backup partition to run to restore factory defaults? The operating system on the restore partition is Windows Vista (not sure what type exactly but probably home). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 response

closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Sep 7, 2010 at 09:10 AM
Hi there ,

If your laptop came with a preinstalled os then you should have created the recovery cd,since you upgraded to windows 7 the recovery manager is not longer valid so now you need to order your recovery cd from Hp or any website online which provided this service else format your laptop with any windows installation cd then download and install drivers one by one.

Thanks