Excel Qualifying Dropdowns

Closed
TimC - Dec 18, 2008 at 08:44 PM
dreamwave Posts 18 Registration date Monday September 22, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 11, 2009 - Dec 19, 2008 at 12:56 AM
Hello,
I am trying to build an order form for our suite of products using Excel.

In order to make this as "idiot proof" as possible, I'm building in some drop down menus that force the user to simply pick a pre-determined solution rather than tying one in manually.
I have been doing so by assigning a NAME to a set of data on a separate worksheet (such as "Categories") and then VALIDATING a cell to be a dropdown referencing "Categories."
My question comes in the next step.

I would like to create additional sub-category dropdowns that reference various lists contained within my workbook.
These menus would change based on qualifications selected in preceding cells.

For example, the cell C2 lists various main categories such as Sports, News, Weather, Entertainment.
If the user selects "Sports," the sub-category cell D2 dropdown/validation would populate with Basketball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer.
If the user selects "News" in cell C2, the sub-category cell D2 dropdown/validation would populate with Local, State, National, or World, but NOT any sports or other sub-categories.

Furthermore, if D2 is selected as "Basketball," the E2 cell dropdown/validation would then populate with Youth, High School, College, Professional.

I have been stuck on this process as I cannot figure out which formula, or combination of formulas, to use to make this process happen.

Ideally, I would have two or three steps in each drop down that would qualify which data fills into subsequent cells as documented above.

If you can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thank you in advance!
Related:

1 response

dreamwave Posts 18 Registration date Monday September 22, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 11, 2009 1
Dec 19, 2008 at 12:56 AM
hi
passing by, i have found something which can help you solving your problems.
note the link: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx?product=1&competency=Excel

good luck!