Problem with dates in Excel 2004 MAC

Solved/Closed
Szimitar - Dec 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM
 Daisy - Jul 19, 2010 at 03:26 PM
Hello,

I'm working in MAC OSX
MS Office 2004 11.5.3 (081114)

I have two workbooks opened at the same time.
I copied 54K+ rows of data from one sheet from WBK-A into sheet in WBK-B.

Column C has date values (unformatted so they look like integers)

Both sheets contain a cell with value 39782.

When I format that cell in WBK-A as Date:MM/DD/YY it displays 11/30/08
When I format that cell in WBK-B as Date:MM/DD/YY it displays 12/01/12

This happens on many cells not just this one. It does not happen in the first few rows.

My head is about to explode but I know this is either a bug or the result of some
odd (hidden to me) inconsistency in settings between these workbooks or sheets.

Any help much appreciated.
thanks,
Sz
Related:

5 responses

Szimitar Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday December 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen December 18, 2008 6
Dec 18, 2008 at 12:10 PM
Found the answer.

There is a default setting in excel preferences to use 1904 date formatting.
Just uncheck that and dates are the same
aquarelle Posts 7140 Registration date Saturday April 7, 2007 Status Moderator Last seen March 25, 2024 491
Dec 18, 2008 at 03:37 PM
Hi,
Thank you for coming back to give us the solution you have found. You can be sure that this will be helpful.
Best regards
Awesome! I was just on the verge of having exploded head syndrome, when I found your solution doing a Yahoo search.

Thanks!
For people that have the mac file only and don't have either a Mac or Excel for Mac.
I don't have one on hand so I had to save the file as CSV and then reopen it.
Make sure you chose the right date format - if you have hours/minutes/seconds you might lose them.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hi,

Was just reading this post and thought I would add my 2c's. If you're struggling with this in excel chances are you will struggle with t all over the place.

In OS X Go to system preferences>date & time. Hit the format tab. Then click on international settings. Check out whether its US. Then if there is change it to your reigon. Fixed....across the board :)