Headphone jack broken

Closed
ed - Sep 30, 2010 at 08:08 AM
 somesmartsoundguyorsomething - Oct 8, 2010 at 10:21 PM
Hello,

I made the big mistake of tripping over the lead hanging out of my laptop's headphone port the other day and now have no sound (the plastic casing and some of the metal has come away). Two things first - is it reasonable to pay £100.00 to have it repaired?
Second is there a way that I can switch my speakers on? Since the headphone port is damaged I can't get any sound from the speakers.
It's a toshiba laptop.
Thanks
Ed

2 responses

somesmartsoundguyorsomething
Oct 8, 2010 at 10:21 PM
I had this very problem. I managed to fix it just a couple minutes after reading your query here. Apparently its a physical switch that determines whether or not the speakers or the headphone jack works. Using this as my mantra, I proceeded to jam a chop stick and a pair of tweezers repeatedly into the broken hole.

I got encouraged after twisted the chop stick a few times with a sudden burst of sound. A few minutes later of fiddling, and bending a couple pieces of metal inside the port, MY SPEAKERS TURNED ON!

Seems to work just great. You can buy these "3d usb sound card" things off amazon or dealextreme or elsewhere for 99 cents a piece. They work just great for headphones, but unfortunately did not fix my speakers! Now I have both working, for a quick 99 cent fix.

Hope I persuade you to break your laptop even further! Or fix it! I would recommend unplugging it and taking off the battery before using metal tweezers, but then again, I didn't, and I'm still (somehow) kicking.

Best of luck.
closeup22 Posts 8923 Registration date Friday May 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen October 7, 2010 2,099
Sep 30, 2010 at 08:43 AM
Hi there,

You can also add a usb sound card to it which will cost you around $ 40 or even less.

Thanks