My laptop only types in numbers

Closed
Silentshadow - Oct 17, 2010 at 01:36 PM
 PJ - Jan 22, 2011 at 04:22 PM
Hello,

I have a lenovo ideapad, and every button on my laptop is a number. None of them have their own, it just types in succesion. The sound on my laptop only played system sounds, so I copied a code and saved it as missing.reg. After I restarted my computer, I had trouble with my typing, so please help if you can. As an extra note, ive tried holding fn and pushing scrlk and the nmlk and it didn't work.

Related:

9 responses

Blocked Profile
Oct 18, 2010 at 04:42 PM
Hello,

Please get through the below already solved similar post and obtain its solution.

https://ccm.net/computing/hardware/391-what-to-do-when-your-keyboard-types-numbers-instead-of-letters/

Thank you.
I've tried doing that but it's not just a few letters it's all of them, and i can get into my account with a password so it's probably just that user. The numbers are consecutive also, so no matter what letter/number I press it's always 1234567890123... And so on
Blocked Profile
Oct 18, 2010 at 06:46 PM
You should have the Num Lock keys turned off.
My laptop has gotten worse the Internet connection module (or whatever it may be called) doesn't work right, my sound device has stopped working so I cannot turn down the volume, and I had the theme as silver and not only is it back to classic, the option is no longer there. As an extra note, this started when I downloaded peak protection 2010, I tried to get rod of it with stopzila and I'm not sure I it worked, but I regained access to chrome. I then discovered that the sound wouldn't work on the Internet, so I put in a code that I found on a question in this website. After rebooting my computer, my letter keys wouldn't work and so I posted this question.
hold down shift and numlk

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
I have had this same problem. when i restarted my computer it went back to normal. The problem came back but now the it only does it when i try to play an instrument using my laptop's keyboard as midi controler. this is kinda crippling in music production or djing. It deffinitely has nothing to do with num lock. PLEASE HELP.
I have the same problem with my lenovo ideapad y450. It happens randomly.
I'd be typing and all of a sudden it would only type 0123456789 and keep alternating no matter what keys I press and the number lock is not on. I would have to switch programs for it to go back to typing normal. If it happened in the web browser, I have to open a separate window and type there, then go back to the previous window I was using to browse and type. Its so annoying. Let me know if you find a solution. My friends predict it's a problem with the driver because it was fine until lenovo tech people installed a new keyboard on my laptop when I sent it in to fix cuz a key broke off. They replaced the whole keyboard and now its having this problem. Thanks
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Nov 12, 2010 at 04:45 PM
Dear Donna

What did the tech people say about it? Have you reported the problem to them after they replaced the board?

If it was a driver problem, which is possible, then those imbeciles should have known, especially if they replaced the board with a compatible, not original.

Please Donna, go back to them and really let them have it, right in the kisser!

Regards
Same product - same problem here.

Maybe it's an ideapad issue?
since i posted this i have fixed my problem. I was a a fake driver for my keyboard that was probably a virus. the only way i could fix it was deleting the extra driver, restart the computer, then wipe the hard drive (backup first of course). if you dont delete the driver before wiping the computer, it will come back. check in the control panel and see if you have 3 keyboard drivers and compare them to a working computer to see if this is indeed your problem.