Repeat the formula MANUALLY?

Closed
SonyPepe - Dec 30, 2008 at 11:16 AM
 WD - Dec 30, 2008 at 08:31 PM
Hello,
I've run into an issue. I am trying to multiply a ROW of several hundred numbers by .99 to get their 1% total to show. There is an empty cell between each value - the 1% total will occupy. So far, I have had to MANUALLY add the formula (cell*.99) and after several columns have grown weary. Is there a condition or formula that will resolve the issue automatically. Or am is the only solution to cut and paste the formula repetitively into each corresponding cell?

1 response

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. If all your data is in one column (or one row) and you are trying to populate the next adjacent column or row then you can use shortcut keys to grab the entire range and paste your formula. ([Shift]+[End]+[Arrow Key] will select an entire range, [Cntrl]+[End]+[Arrow Key] will move to the end of a range).

If, on the other hand, you are trying to populate B1 with 1% of A1 and D1 with 1% of C1 and etc... then your best bet is to create a Macro that will run the multiple iterations for you. If you press the Record Macro button you can record a short macro that will select a cell then with the use of the shortcut commands you can move the active cell to another location. Stop the Macro recording and open the macro for editing--it will take some trial and error, but you can crate a Macro that will copy data from a cell (B1), move to the end of a range (let's say A1..C1) then move one more column over, paste copied data and then move to the end of range (..E1), move one more column over, paste copied data and etc...

MS Excell tutorials are reasonably good for teaching yourself the code necessary to create a useful Macro, but it helps if you have some programming background.