MONITOR SHUTS OFF AFTER...

Closed
Tom - Dec 2, 2010 at 01:17 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Dec 5, 2010 at 01:50 AM
Hello,

My monitor shuts off on my HP d530 2.66 about 2 seconds after it turns on and shows "No signal". I've tried new graphic cards etc... but the same thing just keeps happening.

BUT if i hit F10 and go into my bios and mess around in there it doesnt shut off. So im boggled as to what is causing it to shut off after passing the bios.

Any help greatly appreciated.
-Tom

Related:

5 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Dec 3, 2010 at 03:49 PM
Dear Tom,

You still have not answered my question about what you meant "the graphic card thing" because it certainly looks to me that the graphic card is at fault.

No doubt that you know that graphic card and monitor are two entities. Connect the CPU to another monitor and if that monitor also shuts down 80% chances your graphic is shot if not the entire mummy board.

Regards
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Dec 4, 2010 at 05:25 PM
Tom,

I imagine that you were not able to install the drivers for the graphic card or were you?

I also believe that when you installed the graphic card that you noticed that your machine's belly was dust free.

I feel that some data is missing. I will get someone else on your case, in our house genious, jack4all, my partner. He should reply within 12 hours.

Regards
Dec 2, 2010 at 03:48 PM
Hello Tom,

Obviously if you go into bios and your monitor is working it is because it's not solicitated by more complicated graphics such as you OS.

I ignore what you mean when you said that you tried the new graphic card "thing".

Please explain further. Did the problem suddenly occur? What were you doing before when it happened the first time Did you do something out of the usual? Is your CPU running?

What is the make and model of your monitor?

Regards
Hi, thanks for the reply, the problem is, I wiped the hard drive clean and ever since have been trying to install the OS again, and once i put an install disk in, it starts but after a few moments the screen dies off and thats that.

Now i can take the monitor and hook it up to another computer and it will work just fine, so I know its the cpu itself, just no clue as to why it will shut off (no signal)

The cpu will keep running and not shut off while the monitor looses signal.
Ok, what i mean is, that I bought and used another graphics card and hooked it up and the same exact thing keeps happening. I can start a hole new install of windows and it will make it all the way through the install and the monitor will stay on, but after it goes to reboot, the WINDOWS XP loading screen pops up and then it goes blank. Im friggin clueless.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Dec 5, 2010 at 01:50 AM
Hello,

First thanks to my friend "Ambucias". Follow "Ambucias" instruction to make

sure your CPU cabinet is dust free

Try the below instructions

1) Go to your BIOS and load the default settings.

Remove the graphic card and use the Onboard VGA.

Try running the live CD to find whether there is any problem with the

motherboard or not. You can try the "Puppy Linux". Just download the ISO file

--> Burn it to the CD --> Place the CD in your CD\DVD Drive --> Set your first

boot device as CD\DVD Drive --> Check whether you are able to use your PC

without any problem using the live CD or not.

Click on the below link and download the "Puppy Linux"

http://distro.ibiblio.org/...

2) Check your hard disk connections.

Also check your hard disk for bad sectors. Go to your hard disk manufacture

website and check whether there is any tool available for checking the bad

sectors.

OR

2.1) Place the "Windows xp" CD in the drive and make sure your first boot

device is set to CD\DVD drive to boot from it.

2.2) When prompted to "Press any key to boot from the CD", press any key.

2.3) When welcome screen appears, press "R" key to go to recovery console.

2.4) When it asks "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto",

press 1 key and then press "Enter".

2.5) Enter your administrator password.

2.6) Now C:\Windows> prompt appears. Now enter this command.

chkdsk /f /r ---> Press Enter. Wait for the process to get completed.

After completion of the process, enter the below command

fixmbr -----> Press Enter.

When it asks you "Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?" press y and

then press "Enter"

2.7) Now enter this command.

bootcfg /rebuid and press "Enter".

Windows installation scan will be performed.

When it asks you "Add installation to boot list" press y and then press "Enter"

Then enter the following.

For "Enter Load Identifier"prompt ---> type Windows XP Professional and press

Enter.

For "Enter OS Load Options" prompt ---> type /fastdetect and press Enter.

Note : Don't forget "/" before fastdetect.

Then type exist to reboot your computer.

Note : Remove the Windows xp CD from the drive after the reboot or this time

don't press any key.

Good Luck