SD needs to be formatted

Closed
Lei - Dec 6, 2010 at 02:11 AM
 SaNdRo - Dec 13, 2010 at 01:06 PM
Hello,

My camera SD card is unreadable after my friend transferred the pictures from her iphone to it. The first time I could, on my laptop, open the folder she created on my camera card, unfortunately, after that I can no longer open the files on this card. The worse thing is that both my camera and laptop show the SD card needs to be formatted. I can't afford to lose the pictures on this card, however I am unable to download them.

Could anyone please shed the light how to get the pictures safely? Many thanks.

Lei

6 responses

mijack Posts 68 Registration date Monday June 28, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 10, 2012 10
Dec 13, 2010 at 05:46 AM
This kind of problem happens to SD memory card or USB flash drive, Possible reasons:

1.Sometimes, you cannot format the drive to the FAT filesystem if it has been formatted to a file system which is not recognized by Windows. Such a drive should be reformatted to NTFS first, and then to the FAT file system.

2.It is possible to have complex combinations of incompatibilities in the drivers or BIOS which result in such an error. It makes sense to try to format the drive on another computer. In most cases, the incompatibility problem only concerns the format procedure; once the drive is formatted, it would work fine.

3.There is a bad sector in the area that is required for a file system, e.g. for the FAT table sector. Since such a drive is obviously not possible to use, Windows refuses to format it.

If you need data don't format the card and try to recover data firstly. Try Recuva(freeware)
https://ccm.net/downloads/security-and-maintenance/5003-recuva/
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Dec 6, 2010 at 08:21 AM
Hello,

Try this 1.

If the "File System" is RAW, then may be partition got damaged or corrupted.

Click on the below link and download the file.

http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/download/pdr6free.exe

Select the option "Damaged Partition Recovery". It will recover the data from

the damaged partition.

Good Luck.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Dec 6, 2010 at 07:54 AM
Hello,
Right-click on the SD-Card Drive --> Properties --> Let me know the "File System". Is it RAW ?
Good Luck
Hello jack4rall, yes it is RAW. Any chance to restore the pictures and videos? Please help! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Hello again jack4rall, the most pictures (and videos) on this card were taken with my camera and the others were transferred from my friend's iphone. I could view my pictures and videos on this camera after she transferred the pictures from her iphone but couldn't see hers then. The tragedy incurred after I viewed the pictures she transferred on a computer - since then I can no longer open this card on my camera nor on any computer. Hopefully this would be of any help for you to solve the issue. Many thanks again.
Hi Did you ereased any folder? ... If you did and copied the images that were into it, outside the folder, then the cam won't be able to read them ....