Computer problems...

Closed
lev001 - Dec 19, 2010 at 08:14 PM
 Yanis - Dec 19, 2010 at 08:29 PM
Hello,
I have a custom computer and jus this night i turn on my computer and it froze at where it says F2 setup and F11 setup and it freezes there and it didnt even reach to the windows XP loading part thingy. and it doesnt even go to the desktop
please help!
my computer has 3 GHZ, 1 GB of ram, 153 GB of hard drive and windows service package 3

1 response

This is a hardware problem and it depends on exactly where it is freezing on the boot process. That you are getting to the point of the setup prompt indicates that RAM and video are working it could very well be the hard drive. At some point it goes out looking for boot devices and selects the first boot device on you list (set in BIOS) that is bootable.

First check your BIOS by selecting F2 (or F11) and go through each screen to bake sure that all the settings there are correct. If your time is way out or the settings appear to have changed or you get a checksum error from the BIOS then this indicates that your BIOS battery is flat. In which case just replace that and re-setup the BIOS.

If BIOS checks out then try booting from another device such as CD or DVD. If you don't have a bootable DVD - say your Windows disks - then get one off the internet. Say a diagnostics CD ir DVD - the images are quite easy to get. You will need to burn it on another computer.

If you can boot the computer then it is either your HDD or the HDD controler. If you have a spare HDD then see if you can install that and install a pocket linux to it and see if that boots. If so then the HDD is definitely dead.