Weird Lag for games

Closed
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 - Jan 5, 2011 at 08:39 AM
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 - Jan 8, 2011 at 01:54 AM
Hello,

i have a good computer, easily capable of handling exceptionally high graphic games at their best, with resolutions of 1920x1200. I have:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad QX9300, 2.53GHz each
GPU: nVidia 280m (2 of them in Hybrid SLI), 1GB each
RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3
Hard Drive: 2x500GB (Raid 0), so 1000GB

The problem i have, is some games cause lag. they NEVER are always slow, they just get slow every minute for about half a minute. And i know its not the spec because lowering the graphics doesn't help, and better games, or even sequels work perfectly! I.e - Mass Effect 1 had the problem, Mass Effect 2 which has way better graphics works beautifully. Same with assassins creed, Call of duty modern warfare and world at war lag like this, modern warfare 2 and black ops are perfect. Any idea's for fixes? Thank you.

Related:

4 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Jan 5, 2011 at 05:15 PM
Hello Again,

In the first hand, very often game creators issue patches for the type of discrepancies such as you described and it's always important to check on the manufacturer's website support section to see if you should not download and install such patch.

On the other hand, although you have a very efficient system, you must insure that it's always in its best performing state, ie, a clean registry, clean all temp files and cookies, minimal applications starting at boot time and most important a defragmented disk.

Best regards

--
We can't claim to be perfect for we were made by others
On ne peut prétendre d'être parfait puisqu'on a été fait par d'autres
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Jan 5, 2011 at 06:06 PM
hi, but for my case, the games are already in their latest versions, and they work without the problem on other computers, even without the patch. I'll definitely clear up the system and see if that helps though, thanks for the reply. Also, i noticed that the more i play a game, the less it does the problem (including after stopping and starting again), but if i play something else till that starts fixing up abit, the previous game goes back to lagging.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Jan 6, 2011 at 06:08 AM
Hi,

Yes, please continue to defrag your disk.

Just as a note, I experienced the same issue as you with all of my Electronic Arts games but never for instance with Microsoft Flight Simulator which is quite demanding.

If you go in the Manufacturer's website they sometimes have online solutions, mind you, I often find that their forums just keep going around in circles.

I trust that your graphic card have the latest drivers.

Keep me posted because you have a very interesting issue which many game users have.

Regards
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Jan 6, 2011 at 01:58 PM
ok, theres just a couple of thousand fragments left. This happens with any makers, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Activision, Codemasters. But the most graphical demanding game today is Metro 2033 and it handles that with no problem.

I tried to update my graphics card drivers, but it didn't seem to work, although the problem wasn't present before. What happened when i did the update is all of the user interface on windows was scrambled, and i couldn't see anything. Luckily my computer has 3 graphics cards, 2 nVidia 280m's and a nVidia 9400M G, so i started it up with the 9400 (it's there for a power saving mode, 2 280m's are heavy on battery power) and i did a restore and that fixed it. So since then i havent risked it. Thanks.
Jan 6, 2011 at 05:04 PM
You are looking for perfection like we all would like. But you have one of the top system. Seems you are doing just fine and that you are savy enough to handle the situation.

In the course of playing games some annoying things may happen and it may be due to outside causes, ie, power supply, temperature, weather, static, etc. May be your brain waves?:-)
Jan 8, 2011 at 01:54 AM
yeah, i could manage how it is now but of course, id prefer if it went. brain waves? haha...what i have noticed is the computer gets A LOT hotter than before, and cools down a lot slower too. and whenever the fan spins faster (the sound increases), the game does lag, and also in Crysis (if ur not familiar with it, you can be loud and detected or quiet and not detected), and whenever i am detected, it lags. So when the game processes the enemies to come after me.