Windows Virus Alert Issue

Closed
Jimbeau - Jan 5, 2009 at 10:37 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jan 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM
Hello,

I was "almost" infected with a bogus Windows Virus Alert trojan yesterday. When the icon popped up I used control-alt-delete to get to the task manager where I went to running programs and shut my connection to the internet down. I then ran AVG virus detection and it showed nothing. I then ran Malware for a few seconds then aborted it as I knew I had not updated it for a while. I updated it and ran it. It found several cookie trackers and at the bottom of the list shows two "trojan alert" files. I deleted all these files and restarted the computer. Every thing seems okay, no icons in the lower right hand corner, but now when the computer starts I have a dialog box appear that shows the C:\WINDOWS directory. You can just close this down and go about things but everytime the computer starts this box now appears. I hate to think about "safe starts" and running hijack this but I would like to not have this open dialog box occur. Any ideas or folks I could contact?? I'm running Wondows XP.

Thanks very much for your time...............
Related:

3 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 5, 2009 at 07:03 PM
If you run a registry cleaner it just might remove the registry entry that is opening this dialog box. Google and then download CCleaner it's FREE and works well.
Jimbeau Posts 1 Registration date Sunday January 4, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 5, 2009
Jan 5, 2009 at 10:02 PM
I have Webroot's Window Washer and have used it regularly. It did not stop the C:\Window dialog box pop up issue. I have read some of the reviews of CCleaner and was wondering if I need to do anything more than the registry cleanings? As I get it from the most detailed review, I'm going to be asked about repairing registries, etc. if there are problems. What sort of registry problem would be causing this dialog box opening?? I'm a little hesitant here.............. as you can tell.....
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM
Your right if you are using Windows Washer then CCleaner will probably not find anything extra.