Rogue not letting me log on any mode!

Closed
davidc38 - Apr 4, 2011 at 02:24 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Apr 6, 2011 at 07:20 AM
Hi there!
I got a rogue virus which is killing my computer! I read up about what to do and heard that you go into safe mode and networking and then download malwarebytes etc. However my issue is that I cannot get into safe mode with networking. After not being able to access safe mode with networking I decided to just try safe mode which did work. I then put all the necessary programs on usb pen and loaded them onto safe mode. Malware only picked up 4 infections and these weren't the rogue. This was due to the fact that malware was not up to date and I could not update it due to it being in safe mode. I then tried tackling safe mode with networking again and opened misconfig and changed the boot to 'safe mode with networking'. Again it didn't work but now I can't even access safe mode again if I press F8. All that happens is when I select my account or admin an error alert dialog box comes up with no writing, just the alert icon, an ok and close button. This is really grinding my gears so any help will be greatly appreciated!
Related:

11 responses

Blocked Profile
Apr 4, 2011 at 03:08 PM
David,

can you do a system restore to a time where you are able to boot into windows successfully?

from there you could install malwarebytes and run a scan?

I don't think I can do a system restore considering I can't log on to anything. Every logon gives me that alert.
Blocked Profile
Apr 4, 2011 at 04:01 PM
It could be linked to your profile only.

when youre in safe mode can you create a new account and try logging into that?
When on the safe mode log in page there is admin and david. both give error alerts when you click them. And there is nothing which allows for a new account to be created... :(
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Apr 4, 2011 at 04:01 PM
David

This Trojan is fake antivirus, a scam.

Malwarebyte alone cannot irradicate as it is self protective and will prevent all av from launching.

Can you tell me the name of the fake antivirus?

Do you have access to your task manager (alt+ctrl+del)?

Can you still run a tool from your pendrive as I can send you a tool to paralyse the virus while you clean the system

Regards
Hi Ambucias!

I honestly cannot remember the full name of the antivirus and cannot obtain it as I cannot log on.

Alt+ctrl+del only brings up a log on to windows dialog box whicn has the username as david and a password, this is odd as I dont have a password on my account...

The pendrive does not open when im on the safemode welcome screen. It seems i'm very limited due to this error alert.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,169
Apr 4, 2011 at 04:19 PM
Would you be able to open the pen even in normal mode?

Can you open your task manager without entering the password?
normal mode brings me to the safe mode welcome screen...

ctrl alt del seems to just bring me to this log on windows box and when u hit cancel it brings you back to the welcome screen...the task manager is no where to be seen
Apr 4, 2011 at 04:32 PM
ctrl+alt+del then click enter see if you get to it.

You have not answered my question, can you run from your pendrive?

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Apr 4, 2011 at 04:36 PM
I have another idea. When you get the alert icon, click ok and tell me what you see.
pressing ok just brings me back to the welcome log in screen lad.
Apr 4, 2011 at 04:41 PM
Dave, I suggest that you do not delay replying to me because I will go offline in 15 minutes and will return only in 11 hours.
sorry, trying to try and give you as much info as possible but it just seems so messed up. its soo annoying how it just doesnt let me in safe mode again cause i had the solution before i changed the boot to safemode with networking.
The same error alert comes up.

Sorry, no it doesn't let me run in normal mode so my pen cannot be accessed.

Is there anything i can do in the 'windows advanced options menu'??

where you select all the different modes etc?

Ive tried selecting different things but it still brings me to the same welcome page and i still get the same damn error.

do you think my computer is basically wrecked beyond repair? Maybe thats the solution...lol :(
Apr 4, 2011 at 04:44 PM
Like I said, when you get to the alert click okay and tell me what you see.
it gives a quick flash of the black safe modescreen which you see as the destop background in safe mode then says saving settings and brings me back to welcome page.
Blocked Profile
Apr 4, 2011 at 05:01 PM
obviously theres only so much advise we can give you before you need to get it sorted physically from an expert. if you want to continue yourself you could A: mount the hard disk in another PC and run a scan of the full drive from another installation or B: purchase an external caddy for you to fit the hard disk into. this will turn the drive into a USB stick which you can again plug into another PC and scan it with relevant antivirus/malware software.

otherwise youre going to have to take it to the IT guys and get it done properly.
i completely agree mate. its got to the point of no return! guess i should start looking up the phones books....thank god its backup up on an external harddrrive. maybe not really recent but still backed up!
Blocked Profile
Apr 4, 2011 at 05:11 PM
Are you going to continue with the help of a local IT company?

i feel we've advised the best we can, but i wish you the best in getting your computer back to good health!
I know a man who is good with computers. But i decided to ask here before paying.

Thanks, this poor computer has been through wars! I hate dodgey websites when you dont think they are...once i sort this out any good internet tools to help advise bad websites?
Apr 4, 2011 at 05:11 PM
Please, let's not be hasty.

From the welcome page press alt+F4. What do you get?
nothing appears to happen mate
Apr 4, 2011 at 05:27 PM
Dear David,

You are the first case I have encountered where the virus resisted me. Usually these types of rogues want money in exchangem this one is a destroyer.

I will refer your case to our inhouse wizard jack4rall to seek his advice, if you can wait will he wakes up in 12 hours (time zone requiring), otherwise, kieferschild's last solution would be the very best.

Kierferschild is also one of our experts.

Good luck

P.S. Your issue is challenging and thank you for posting on Kioskea
I will be glad to leave it for a day before i take any action. My lap top is in tip top condition and i am in no rush. I am glad i could provide use with a challenge guys and if an expert who comes and see the computer sorts it out ill be sure to tell use what they said and what was done about it :) use are very helpful and i thank you for it. Ill be on this tomorrow...
Blocked Profile
Apr 4, 2011 at 05:32 PM
id love to get my hands on that PC!
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Apr 5, 2011 at 02:10 AM
Hello david,
First thanks to "Ambucias"
Try this 1
Can you get into "Safe mode with Command Prompt"?
Good Luck
Id love you to aswell kieferschild!

hi jack!

safe mode with command prompt again brings me to the welcome screen which stops me logging on because of an error alert.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Apr 6, 2011 at 07:20 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
1) Click on the below hyperlink "Avira AntiVir Rescue System" and download it
Avira AntiVir Rescue System
2) Click on the below link hyperlink "Download" and download the ISO burner
Download
Place an empty CD in the drive.
Double-click on the "FreeISOBurner". When "FreeISOBurner" window appears
--> Click on "Open" button --> Select the downloaded "Avira AntiVir Rescue
System ISO" file.
Set "Burn Speed" to 8x or to the available lowest speed from the drop-down
menu --> Click on "Burn" button.
3) Click on the below hyperlink "Instructions"
Instructions
Follow the given instructions in the infected PC from "Boot from the
Rescue CD
"
Good Luck
Apr 5, 2011 at 04:24 PM
David,

Please do not despair. May take one more day.

I will refer your case to Gen_hackman, he has more than 60,000 virus clean-up messages up his sleeve.

He should reply soon.