I have placed a drop down listbox in my excel 2007 work sheet and selected the range of names which are in the same sheet. In the list I have as many as 600 names. My question is this: how to fast search through the names ? I mean, just like our cell phone contact name search, by pressing , say , p I must be able to go to names starting with p , by pressing c I must be able to go to names starting with c ....like that.... Please guide and help me in this. thanks bye suryam
This wil be little complicted. You have to use controltoolbar combo box.
Take a print out and try. If you do two or three time you become faimialr.
1.Open a sheet
2.Go to any column for e.g. G1
3. Type Sunday Monday Tuesday etc up to Saturday in G1 to G7(if it is available as custom list. You have to type Sunday in G1 and copy it down up to G7)
4. click view(menubar)-toolbars-controlboxtoolbar
5. you will get toobox. On the 5th row on the iight is the combo boc
6. click that box and +sign will come and draw a rectangle anyawhere in the sheet.
7. right click the combobox and click properties
8.inthe properties window against "linked cell(the list is alphabetic) type A1 the cell where you need the validation
9.listfll range type G1:G7
10. listrows as 7 and linked cell as $A$1
11.matchentry if you click the arrow you get three choices. Choose choice no. 1 "fm match entry complete"
12. close the properties window
13. click view-toobars-exitdesigbmode
14. in the combobox type s you will see Sunday and also same entry in A1
15.delete entry in A1 the entry in combo box also disappears
16. now type T you will get Tuesday. If you want Thursday type Th. You will see same entry in A1
Hi Venkat1926, the code that you have provided was fine. my purpose was served. I have another issue in the same program. I found this when I used it real time.
When I click on the down arrow symbol of the combo box active x control , I am getting a list (popup list window) with the names in my selected range to the right side of the combo box. that's fine. I am able to see only names with "A" in that window .I am unable to see the other names. I mean to say even if I press "k" in the combobox ,still the list is showing the starting entries/names of my range .Now my problem is I am not getting vertical scroll bar in that displayed list window. Is it possible to have a vertical scroll bar in that displayed window? so that when I press "H" in the combo box and press the down arrow symbol on the control box, I must be able to see the names starting with "H" in the displayed window also. Can you pls sort out this issue for me? thanks and regards Mr.Suryam
thanks very much for your help. Your answer was really fantastic. It worked for my purpose. thanks again.
I have some other things like this. Soon I will contact your through this forum
thanks and regards