How 2 download from laptop 2 ext. hard drive?

Closed
vic - Jan 19, 2009 at 10:33 PM
cm420 Posts 33 Registration date Tuesday October 14, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 14, 2009 - Jan 20, 2009 at 04:02 AM
Hello,
I'm a computer illiterate. My friend set up a seagate external hard drive for me. He transferred all my files and told me to continue transferring on a weekly basis. I can't find his instructions or reach him. I put the usb cable from the hard-drive into my laptop; went to "my computer" and activated the hard-drive. I wanted to have all my files automatically transferred so I didn't have to go through every file and figure out which doc was new and which doc had already been saved to the hard drive. Couldn't figure that out. So I tried the slow manual way of going into each file I thought might contain a new doc. Noticed that only once did I see files flying across the screen (indicating they were being copied). The other times I tried to copy files to the hard drive, there were no files flying across the screen. I know that the files I clicked on included new docs that had never been copied to the hard drive and wonder why on one occasion files seemed to transfer and all the other times, there was no movement of files? I don't have time to work this problem "manually" and hope someone can give me a clear step by step process of what I need to do. Thanks in advance!
Related:

1 response

cm420 Posts 33 Registration date Tuesday October 14, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 14, 2009 6
Jan 20, 2009 at 04:02 AM
hi,

you may send select all the files and folders and send them to your computer

for this, select all, right-click on one of the icon and select "send to" option.

select the place where you want to send the files.

you will be prompted if you want to replace the files that already exist on your computer,

you just have to select "No".

this will copy only the new files that are not present on your computer.