Monitor says "no signal" when connected w/ PC

Closed
Mo - Apr 25, 2011 at 06:14 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Apr 30, 2011 at 12:37 PM
Hi,

today I tried to turn on my computer but on the monitor it said "no signal". After making sure all connections are solid and no unnecessary USB accessories are connected, it still said "no signal". The bios screen doesn't even show, just a black screen with the monitor's dialog box.

So I tried to connect the monitor through the DVI port rather than the VGA port, again nothing. I took the video card out and replaced it with the stock video card the PC came with, no signal. Even the motherboard's video out produced no signal. I tried two monitors in my home, "no signal" for both.

I tried isolating the problem by removing the memory units in pairs but it still did not work, "no signal".

All fans and lights are running, so I doubt that it is a PSU problem.

PS. earlier I saw someone repair his problem by disconnecting the power cable, holding the power button for 30 seconds and plugging in the power cable. This didn't seem to work for me.

I would appreciate any help whatsoever, thank you for your time. Good day.

-Mo
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 25, 2011 at 09:03 PM
Does the system play the Windows sounds when it boots? If you used to get the sounds and don't now. Then, you know that Windows is not loading.

Did you get a beep from the motherboard after the BIOS loaded? If it's no longer beeping this tells you the BIOS is not booting.

Try removing ALL memory - you should get a few beeps, if the BIOS is working, telling you the memory is missing.

The fans and lights run on 5 volts - the motherboard runs on 12 volts. So it could be a power supply problem. You might disconnect the power plug from the motherboard and reattach it. The is probably a latch on the plug that you need to squeeze to release the plug.

Good Luck
Thanks for the reply. No, there isn't any windows sound. The only beep I got was when I tried loading without the video card. Since it's too late now, tomorrow I'll try without any memory whatsoever as well as try to use the stock PSU. Thanks for the help and I'll write back.
Hey again, a friend of mine brought in a PSU tester and the PSU tested out fine. I removed all memory and rebooted and there were no beeps or any other sounds.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 30, 2011 at 12:37 PM
Your testing leads me to think you have a motherboard issue. A good repair shop should have a diagnostic card that can show the POST codes. At this point it is the only way to identify the problem,

Good Luck