Trouble setting up my Linksys Wireless Router

Closed
gibsan Posts 2 Registration date Monday January 19, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 20, 2009 - Jan 20, 2009 at 11:43 AM
 jonnie_777 - Jan 21, 2009 at 04:10 PM
Hello,

I suppose i should give you the skinny of it to show my troubles.

I recently returned home to find that my brother decided to replace our old router with a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with 2 Phone Ports.

Now, sadly, the tool didn't secure it and our signal is being siphoned and we're losing the connection at times.
I've looked for the box or cd that came with the router, but no luck.

After, i tried to configure it by unplugging the lines to the router, then adding only my cable (to a desktop system) and the modem line, resetting the router, and then typing in 192.168.1.1 - Linksys Router Default IP Address.

I get a message the network failed and timed out each time.
Can anyone give me a hand?

Thanks for looking and taking the time.

2 responses

Hi Gisban

When connecting to your wireless router via the toolbar http//192.168.1.1 make sure the router is fully connected to your DSL or cable connection so make sure all the wires are set up as it says in the manual.

If your laptop is able to connect to your router then you can reconfigure your router via wireless rather than being plugged in via an ethernet cable.

So you say you are able to connect the internet but you have no security enabled on it to stop other people accessing your wireless LAN.

So what you want to do is access your router via the toolbar by typing your default gateway address in there (your routers ip address)

E.G. http//192.168.1.1 then when it asks for your password type it in then you are in the routers configuration pages.

once you have accessed this look for a button on the top that says WIRELESS and click that and you will be taken to a diffrent page.

Under where you clicked WIRELESS just underneath this button you shoul see another set of options and one should be WIRELESS SECURITY.

You should now see 4 options (well thats what I have on my linksys router)

1 SECURITY MODE should be set to WPA-PERSONAL

2 ENCRYPTION should be set to TKIP

3 PASSPHRASE (it is your choice what you set this to it has to be a minimum of 8 characters long and a maximum of 63 characters)
mine is 20 characters long and is a mixture of numbers and letters but be sure to keep a note of this passphrase somewhere safe because when you first try and access the Wireless LAN the routerwill ask you for this passphrase, the longer you make the password the harder it is to crack nd dont use names that are meaningful tou you.

you are better using a string of random numbers and letters.

Hope this helped if you need anymore help let me know.
gibsan Posts 2 Registration date Monday January 19, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 20, 2009 3
Jan 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM
OH and confusing still is that when i connect, i have a signal and can browse other items online.
I'm running XP sp3 and a system more than capable for that.