Virus started as XP Total Security now Window

Solved/Closed
debbiewake - Apr 27, 2011 at 04:40 PM
debbiewake Posts 10 Registration date Friday April 29, 2011 Status Member Last seen May 4, 2011 - May 4, 2011 at 05:09 PM
Hello,

I recently inadvertently let in a virus that called itself XP Total Security. I am using Windows XP and was using Microsoft Security Essentials for Protection.OOPS!
After using another computer to search Bleeping Computer Forums, I managed to download RKill and Malwarebytes. I have ran both several times. Malwarebytes seems to remove the virus but when I re-boot it is back but with a different name. Now it is Windows Security Alerts. It has also hijacked by browser and will not let me do normal searches in my browser(Firefox) without re-directing to various other sites. I'm not sure what else to try. Now whatever the virus is - it is affecting non-web usage. While working on documents in Word or Excel, my computer will freeze and the only way I can move is to power down and then power back up.

I have also now tried Spybot and AVG. Even though they say they find trojans to remove - I am still having massive problems. Most of the time I can not log onto the internet and when I try to use System Restore - it either doesn't open or I get a pop up box that says System Recovery will not help me and then it exits. Please can anyone help?
Related:

21 responses

debbiewake Posts 10 Registration date Friday April 29, 2011 Status Member Last seen May 4, 2011
May 4, 2011 at 05:09 PM
I finally got Navilog to work but it found nothing. The red shield is finally gone and I did not find XP total security anywhere. I ran Rkill again and it found one thing but MBAM found nothing. Now what should I do to protect it from coming back??

I work from home so I ma on my computer a lot! Thanks for your help - you are being a lifesaver!