COMPUTER ONLY STARTS IN SAFE MODE

Closed
MIZZMICHE - Jan 21, 2009 at 10:35 AM
ks59803 Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday January 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 22, 2009 - Jan 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM
Hello,

I have a computer that is about two years old, running Windows Vista, 32-bit. I apologise in advance, I am trying to give you all the stuff that you need to hopefully help me fix me problem. About four weeks ago, my computer was running fine. I have a Pentium Dual Core Processor. My boyfriend went to play a game, and the computer screen started flashing really fast, and acting all weird. The screen would go blue, but it was different from the BSOD. I got it back up and running with just a re-start. After that, my internet, and computer in general just started running really slow. And it would freeze constantly, and take so long to start up and shut down. Thinking that I may have a virus, I did a virus scan with Commodo Internet Security, and it showed nothing, not even a piece of spyware. After that, I thought it may have been a program that I recently downloaded, so I deleted everything that I did not get with the computer when I bought it. And it was still running slow. It was time for the computer to be cleaned, so took the case off, which I have done at least twenty times, and cleaned the inside of the computer. There was some dust in there, so I cleaned it, with compressed air, and put it back together. Upon re-starting, I got an error message that it could not find Windows, and I could not log in at all. So I called my tech support, that came with the computer and after five frustrating hours, they said my only option was to format my hard drive and do a clean install of Vista. I have since done that, and lost everything. I expected that to fix my problem, but now the computer is still running slow. I can get it to run fairly quickly in safe mode, and I have tried disabling start up programs, and re-enabling them as well as all the diagnostics that Windows offers. I would appreciate any help you can offer, and if you require anything else to help me, please let me know.
Related:

3 responses

imnotlistening Posts 1 Registration date Tuesday January 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 21, 2009
Jan 21, 2009 at 10:59 AM
Hi, this is mizzmiche, I registered and must have changed my name accidentally. I need to know where to find out what my machine info is, and this is a manufactured computer, not custom built. When I had the case open, checked everything, because there was time before that is happened, and it was just a matter of tightening a few cables. Thanks for all your help.
ks59803 Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday January 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 22, 2009 1
Jan 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM
Hello, its all good. For your system info go to: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System tools>System info. Here it will give some specs but not all. Do you have an aftermarket video card or is it on the motherboard? If on the board, try removing it and reseating it. Make sure no dust is in the slots either. Also the specific maker/model # would allow us in depth specs to further troubleshoot with. Have you tried going into normal mode manually at boot up, if so what was the result then?
ks59803 Posts 8 Registration date Tuesday January 20, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 22, 2009 1
Jan 21, 2009 at 10:50 AM
Hmmmm, I think we need more info. Is the PC custom built or is it manufactured? This sounds hardware related due to the beginning issue of the flicker then progressive slow down.......what video card you you have? Did you check for loose cables or cards while you had it open? Vista requires an enormous amount of resources and I imagine if something in the chain is weak yet functioning it could have you run in safe mode. I really need your machine info though so try to get back with us. You may have to manually take it out of safe mode also, try holding f1 (could be different) to see if you can "start windows normally" instead of in safe mode.