Tried Fixes, Still Not Able Recognize XP Host

Closed
ScottJ - May 10, 2011 at 09:11 PM
 ScottJ - May 21, 2011 at 09:07 AM
I have tried a couple dozen different fixes listed on several forums (including Kioskea) and my network still does not recognize my XP desk top host computer. I also have another XP desk top and three Windows 7 laptops. It is a wireless setup and when I try to change the IP address on the host, I get completely dropped and end up restoring my system.

The other fixes all seem to not cause problems (although I have had to undo a few such as TCP/IP v6 and NetBIOS), but likewise do not solve the problem. I can see the network and all the computers, printers, and files from all five systems. It is just everything but the host.

I am not a technician, so I have avoided the more complicated fixes involving editing the registers, changing the browser setups, etc. Can anyone help?
Related:

1 response

funproblemsyeah
May 10, 2011 at 11:36 PM
Hi hope this helps make sure computers are on same group eg mshome make sure u share a file on each with access to everyone then go to networkand sharing in win 7 and click on see network map when it says show other devices that cannot be shown click that hopefully you see your xp files
Appreciate the response. I have run the Network Setup Wizard numerous times and always share files and folders. I look at the network map on the win 7 and it shows the XP as the host, but it is described with a large question mark (?) and otherwise does not see it. Any other suggestions?
Just another follow up. When I try to share a folder (I can not find any way to share individual files) it will not allow me. I get a message to the effect that the server service is not started. I have tried to find help on how to do so simply, but no luck.