Excel Help

Closed
Norb - Jun 1, 2011 at 02:14 PM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Jun 2, 2011 at 05:42 PM
Hi Everyone.

Hope you guys can help. This is what I need

I have 3 sheets in excel.

Sheet 1 is my master and has products listed according to part numbers and has other details for them. I have the part numbers in sheet 2 and 3 and I want to know if there is a way to set up the following.
if sheet 2 part number matches sheet 1 I want to copy contents of a certain cell to sheet 2 from one.

Thanks
Norbert
Related:

2 responses

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Jun 1, 2011 at 02:18 PM
Depending how the columns are set up in your master sheet, you can use either VLOOKUP or a combination of MATCH and INDIRECT
The way they are set up is by item number and it needs to match to a different sheet . The columns do not match where sheet 1 column a would have to read the number on sheet 2 column c and then transpose contents sheet 1 column d to sheet 2 column h.

How do you use the MATCH INDIRECT function?

Sorry not well versed in excel
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Jun 2, 2011 at 05:42 PM
For VLOOKUP the catch is that the column that you want to match, CANNOT occur before the column from where you want to return the value.

sample code
=VLOOKUP(A1, Sheet1!X:Z, 3, false)
A1: the cell that you want to compare
X:Z is the range in which the compared and returned value exists
3: third column in the range X:Z ( that would be Z in this example)
FALSE: make an exact compare

MATCH and INDIRECT are two functions. Match will return you the row number in which the match occurs and indirect basically takes the row and column and sheet and will return.