Can't get sound on HDMI connection to my comp

Closed
joshua07 - Jun 21, 2011 at 07:40 PM
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 - Jun 23, 2011 at 06:17 PM
Hello,
I hooked my Mac mini to a Toshiba TV via an HDMI cable (resolution 1920 x 1200). I changed the settings so the output is my TV, but I am getting no sound. Any thoughts?
I have tried restarting and turning on/off devices in different orders. Is there a setting on the TV I need to alter?
Thank you,
AS

Related:

2 responses

vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Jun 21, 2011 at 08:04 PM
Hi.

I'm not sure for a Mac, but in windows you can select it in the control panel under sound options. If there is something similar (something to select a sound output device) in Mac, try there.

Good luck
By default Sound does not route over the HDMI output. To change this we need to change the settings in control panel.

Note: This will turn off sound from the speakers or normal audio output on the laptop. To get that back you will have to reverse this process.

- Click on the "Start" button
- Click on "Control Panel"
- With the Control Panel in "Control Panel Home" view please click on "Hardware and Sound"
- Where it says "Sound" in green letters there are three options below that are in blue click on "Manage Audio Devices"
- This will bring up a window labeled "Sound"
- On the "Playback" tab there is listed the sound options available to you. One should read "Digital Output Device (HDMI)" Click on that.
- There should now be a check mark on that option.
- The Sound should then play through your HDMI hookups to the TV.
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Jun 23, 2011 at 06:17 PM
isn't this for a Windows OS? Or do mac's have control panel as well? Sorry i dont mean to sound rude but i just no NOTHING about macs.