Browser redirecting The Fix!!!!

Closed
JS - Jul 2, 2011 at 09:35 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 3, 2011 at 03:14 PM
I had my browser redirecting and I found that my HOSTS file had been modified witha a bunch of google entries. To fix the problem here is what I did:

1. Download SDFix, google it it should be out there somewhere. Install SDFix.

2. Goto Start>Control Panel. Open Folder Options. Under the View tab, select to Show hidden files and folders. Also uncheck Hide extensions for known file types, and uncheck Hide protected operating system files.

3. Goto My Computer>Local Disk C:>Windows>System32>drivers>etc

4. Right click on hosts and select rename. Rename the file oldhosts.old

5. Reboot the computer and press F8 repeatedly until you get the windows startup menu. If you see the windows logo then you need to reboot and keep pressing f8. When you get to the menu, select Safe Mode with Networking and press enter. Press enter again when prompted for the OS to start.

6. When logged in to windows in Safe Mode( you should have safe mode in each corner), go to start and then click run. type in C:\sdfix\runthis.bat and click ok.

7. Press y and then enter. Now wiat for SD FIX to work. When prompted to reboot, hit any key and when windows resumes, sdfix will finish up and in the end should have repaired your HOSTS file.

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 3, 2011 at 03:14 PM
thanks for the info