Black Screen at Boot - Ongoing Issues

Closed
swedy13 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:20 AM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 27, 2011 at 12:41 AM
Hi everyone,

About two weeks ago my computer started to show a black screen when I turned it on. The fans would start and it sounded like it was on, but the screen wouldn't load an image - sort of like it was in sleep mode.

I brought it into my local pc repair shop and after about a week they told me the graphics card was shot. So I purchased a new card.

When I replaced the card, the computer booted to windows like normal. I installed the new drivers and restarted for the changes to take effect. However, on the reboot, the computer only showed as far as the Windows load screen, after which it went back to the black screen.

After reading online, I figured it was probably a BIOS issue, in which the driver update was defaulting me to the onboard graphics display instead of using the card I installed. I brought it into my local shop again and asked them to fix it. They found that it doesn't boot with any kind of video card, but when the card is removed it displays just fine, which seems consistent with the BIOS issue mentioned above (online said changing the PCI/PEG setting).

However, the local shop decided the new problem is my motherboard. They claim the slot is fried and I need to run the on board video card or get a new computer. This seems a bit silly to me, since they didn't check the BIOS until I called them, and then he asked me where to look but was unable to find the PCI/PEG. Instead, they simply tinkered with the hardware.

So before I buy myself a new motherboard, I'd love some real answers:

1. Is the problem a bad slot?

I understand why this would make sense. Multiple video cards have tried and failed to display (both pre- and post- graphics driver update, which seems like the common denominator is the slot. At the same time, I feel like the time it booted successfully after the initial install gives a reasonable cause for doubt.

2. Is the problem a BIOS setting?

This makes more sense to me, but maybe I'm just thinking with my checkbook (I REALLY don't want to buy a new motherboard). After all, it booted fine until the new graphics drivers were installed, then it failed on the restart. We have yet to check if the PCI/PEG setting is correct (they couldn't find it in the BIOS - not sure why?).

3. Is it some other problem?

4. What options can I take to fix it BEFORE purchasing a new motherboard?

SPECS
Old Graphics Card: GeForce 9800GT (1gig DDR3)
New Graphics Card: MSI N520 GT
Motherboard: AN-M2HD
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Aug 27, 2011 at 12:41 AM
Hi,

Ill rather advise you to change power supply as i have been facing this issue with other computers while repairing and i was myself astonished when i replaced power supply at same time i thought it was by chance but tested other 2 motherboards which was supposed to be in dustbin but they all work now.

Give a try as well as your feedback.

Thanks