My cd drive wont work

Solved/Closed
john - Jan 28, 2009 at 10:07 AM
 Rich K. - Apr 21, 2013 at 01:30 PM
Hello,
my names john and im 17 iv got a toshiba laptop and I want to install my webcam but wen I put my cd in it dont load up my cd drive ant working it happend to me before and I phoned pc world and they went through it with me and they fixed it but its gone again n I cant phone them coz my garntee as gone so does anyone know wot I have to do please help me thanks
Related:

22 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Jan 28, 2009 at 10:43 PM
You can try this trick - It might work - But, only if this is the root cause of your problem:

Many third-party programs that control CD or DVD burning (as well as some player applications) install CD- or DVD-ROM filter device drivers into Windows. These filter drivers are meant to allow for low-level hooks into the hardware, to allow for functions such as packet writing (where a CD-R/W or DVD-/+RW can be written incrementally, like a hard disk).

How CD/DVD issues can occur

These filter drivers sometimes have problems that can cause the CD or DVD drive to stop working correctly. The device entry for the CD or DVD drive in the Device Manager may show up with an error descriptor that reads "The device could not start." Additionally, there may be an error message that reads "One of the filter drivers for this device is invalid." The devices themselves do not show up in Explorer. Error codes for the device include code 31, code 32, code 19 or code 39, and sometimes the even more ominous warning "Your registry might be corrupted" appears.

Fixing the CD/DVD problem simply involves deleting the filter entries for the third-party device drivers. These entries can sometimes become damaged (which is what produces the "corrupt registry" warning).

How to fix CD/DVD issues
First Backup the registry.

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
type "regedit" in the Start Run box.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.
* If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.
* If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the
LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
7. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The UpperFilters registry entry is removed.
Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters.

Note You might see a LowerFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only.

If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
3. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
Are you sure you want to delete this value?
The LowerFilters registry entry is removed.
4. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart your computer
Restart your computer. After you have done this, try to access the CD or DVD drive. If you can access the CD or DVD drive, and if you do not receive an error message, the problem is resolved. You can reinstall your CD or DVD writing or recording software.

Several of the products made by Roxio are infamous for causing this problem, although in fairness to the company the most recent versions of their Roxio CD/DVD writing software (6.2 and higher) do not have these problems. Users of 5.0 or 6.0 editions of the Easy CD & DVD Creator product, which has been bundled with many new PCs in the past, should upgrade to 6.2 or better. Other programs can also cause this problem, with the same solution.

Note that after you do this, you may lose functionality in the program that uses the filter drivers, which may need to be reinstalled.
Thanks so much! I was having the same problem, and deleting those two filter entries from the registry fixed it!
Wanted to add my thanks to you as well - your instructions worked perfectly! I'm not sure what caused the loss of my combo drives on my DELL XP machine, but I had been working backwards through system restore to retrieve functionality of the drives. The third occurence of this loss started me searching the internet. I'm glad I found your notes. Thanks again for getting my heart down out of my throat!

Brian
Thank you
this worked brilliant.
Easy to follow.
Dear xpcman,
I would like just to thank you for your very detailed and step-by-step explanation on how to fix the cd/dvd drive problem. I had the same problem on my computer and I tried everything in vain. I seldom saw your explanation as I googled looking for solutions. I followed your step-by-step solution and it worked. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. It saved me a lot of bucks, I guess. God bless you.
THANK YOU SO MUCH AFTER ME SEARCHING FOR HELP EVERYWHERE YOURS HAS WORKED..XXX I AM NOT STRESSED ANYMORE AS NOW MY CD DRIVE WORKS...XX YEAH XX WHY OH WHY DOES IT DO THIS???? THANX SO MUCH AGAIN YOUR A STAR!!!!
i had same prob 4 a toshiba lap top , just go 2 suport.microsoft.comkb/314060 and select fix .. solved the prob 4 me whan I restarted laptop..
Thanks for suggesting the Registry filters and the microsoft fix it. I tried both, rebooted, and there remains a problem. My dvd drive works, but reading or burning cds still isn't functioning. I sent it to Toshiba Teleplan to fix that and some other things... they had it over TWO MONTHS!!!... they didn't address the cd drive at all and they screwed up the printer port in the process too. I don't want to send it back to them, so I am hoping that someone here can solve my cd drive problem.

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4447
Vista O/S
Intervideo DVD WORKS!
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K17A ATA device

help & thanks!

warebear
Wow...so often these responses don't work. Microsoft FixIt was useless. Calling Toshiba and my extended warranty company didn't fix it. Toshiba wanted $35 since I'm outside their 1 year warranty, and the warranty company just wanted me to mail it back to them. Anyway, for my Toshiba Satellite, A305-S6858, your instructions worked. The whole problem started with the replacement of the hard drive, but various software updates may cause the same problem. Anyway, your instructions are the same instructions as found at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929461/the-cd-drive-or-the-dvd-drive-does-not-work-as-expected-on-a-computer but I found this column first. I do wonder what those upper and lower filters are connected to...what problems I may encounter later because of it, but in the meantime my CD burner and DVD player work great. In fact, the CD Burner with Windows works super fast, faster than before! Thanks a million!!
EVERYONE HERE IS THE ANSWER http://www.wikihow.com/Image:Y-U-No-Close.jpg
I am having a similar problem. DVD will work, but the cd will not read or burn on a VISTA os Toshiba laptop. Toshiba tech support instructed me to remove the upper and lower filters (INCLUDING THE .bak ones!). Rebooted machine and problem remains.

We looked for firmware updates for Vista but none were there for my A135-S4447 Satellite Toshiba laptop. Apparently A100s are compatible (the A135 is an American version).

Next step, would be to delete the harddrive and reinstall the VISTA and Microsoft Office Professional - BUT!!! I can't find it. Probably in my parents basement in the US and I am a student in Scotland. Stupid of me not to have it here.

My friend swears by the help one can get on Kioskea so my fingers are crossed that someone on this forum can help me make my cd drive work again...

(Toshiba repair had my laptop for 2 months for something that should have taken 5-10 business days!!! They returned it without doing anything about the cd drive.)

HELP!
thanks for that solution. It worked perfectly. I all ready tried the Microsoft site and tere trouble guide did not solve the problem

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,828
Jan 2, 2010 at 07:33 PM
If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I WASTED A FEW HOURS BEFORE READING THIS...AND SPENT 2 MINUTES FIXING THE PROBLEM AFTER I FOUND YOUR POSTING. YOUR A LIFE SAVER!
my cd is not reading
hey, I followed your steps and deleted the registry value, but now my computer cannot boot into windows! I tried safe mode and it doesnt work either. Startup Repair was launched and they said "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically".

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFallover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6001.18000.6.0.6001.18000

etc etc. any help pls? I need my computer for work urgently!!!
Thanks so much. That solved it so easily!
Thank you this worked wonderfully. My dvd driver is working now. Thank you all again.
i think it is a falt with toshiba laptops because mine has done the same and my dvd drive as also stopped working
Geloo Posts 1 Registration date Thursday December 24, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 25, 2009
Dec 25, 2009 at 04:55 AM
I do have the same problem but I can't find upper or lower filters what to do.
Thanks in advance
Ok it doesn't work
Thanks alot!!! I had the same problem I was getting code 39 error and the drivers would not install when I removed the lowers it started working. your the best thanks again
I'm getting "unable to delete all specified values", im assuming because a cd service is running or something, anyway to still delete upperfilters?
i had same problem stick it wit a paper clip where you push it to open and it will pop right out really easy best buys geek squad showed me and I wish I knew that then but its good as new
There is no sound, but mute is OFF----tried Audio and image froze. Want a foolproof procedure please.
i have a dell xps 420 desktop computer my dvd /cd rom is saying not installed properly , I have tried everything
my cd is not reading
thanks
Thanks, the answer solved my problem. To others: after regedit restart your pc.
Maruf, London, UK