Search for any value within a range and copy

Solved/Closed
Sarah89 - Dec 7, 2011 at 05:39 AM
venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 - Dec 29, 2011 at 06:45 AM
Hello,

I am a beginner with Macros and would like to find code that will allow me to do the following:

1. Look for ANY values present in columns K-O of worksheet named "Data Dump".
2. For any value present, copy Entire row to new sheet within the same workbook cell A2.

I have been searching online for a while but everything found has been very specific to circumstances and I do not have the knowledge to be able to alter to my needs.

Thanks, Sarah
Related:

8 responses

venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 811
Dec 7, 2011 at 09:19 PM
try this macro

Sub test()
Dim r As Range, c As Range
Worksheets("A2").Cells.Clear
Worksheets("sheet1").Activate
Set r = Range(Range("K1"), Range("O1").End(xlDown))
For Each c In r
c.Select
If c = "Data Dump" Then
c.EntireRow.Copy Worksheets("A2").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
End If
Next c
End Sub
Hi,

Thanks for the response but unfortunately it returns 'RunTime error 9. Subscript out of range' :S

Any suggestions? Columns M-O (Correction from previous note) Provide an optional response column in which most cells are blank. The cells which are populated need the whole row to be copied to a new sheet within the workbook so all changes that need to be made are compiled.

Thanks Again
venkat1926 Posts 1863 Registration date Sunday June 14, 2009 Status Contributor Last seen August 7, 2021 811
Dec 8, 2011 at 07:41 PM
"Subscript out of range" means there is not sheet as A2

I misunderstood your "new sheet within the same workbook cell A2."

change that statements wherever occurs "worksheets("A2")" (2 places)
change it to correct worksheet name ---replace only A2 by the name of the sheet where you want to have the result.

change this statement

Set r = Range(Range("K1"), Range("O1").End(xlDown))

to

Set r = Range(Range("M1"), Range("O1").End(xlDown))
Hi venkat,

This is the macro that I have now ...

Sub test()
Worksheets("Changes").Cells.Clear
Worksheets("Data Dump").Activate
Set r = Range(Range("M1"), Range("O1").End(xlDown))
For Each c In r
c.Select
If c = "Data Dump" Then
c.EntireRow.Copy Worksheets("Changes").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
End If
Next c
End Sub

Worksheets("Changes").Cells.Clear >>> This is the worksheet i want the results to be in.

Worksheets("Data Dump").Activate >>> And this is the worksheet that contains the info i want to search for values.

Could you please explain to me this part of the macro?

For Each c In r
c.Select
If c = "Data Dump" Then
c.EntireRow.Copy Worksheets("Changes").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
End If
Next c
End Sub

If i understand it right, I want 'c' to represent any value present in the range that has been set as 'r'. Then, if a 'c' (a populated cell) has been found, copy entire row and paste to Worksheet("Changes") ?
Dec 9, 2011 at 05:55 AM
r is the range of cells from M1 to the last cell in column O
suppose you have five rows. then
r is range from M1 to O5
that means 5x3=15 cells
for each c in r
each of these 15 cells is considered one by one
first the first cell N1
so c is M1
c.select
this statement is not necessary . parked there only for debugging.
then it check c (that is M1 is having entry "Data Dump"
if so then it copied the whole row of M1 if not it skips and goes to next c which is N1 .
then the test and decision. etc

when all the 15 cells checked it goes out of "for -----next"
and then if there is nothing else to do closed the macro

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Thankyou. I am learning! ... Slowly =P

What code would I use to search for any non-blank cell? As I am not looking for specific values or words =S
Dec 9, 2011 at 09:01 PM
there must be many ways of selecting non blank cells depending upon why you want to do it

suppose there are only constants (no formulas) then

range("A1").CurrentRegion.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Select
you solve the problem when the need arise
Sub Changes()

Worksheets("Changes").Cells.Clear
Worksheets("Data Dump").Activate
Set r = Range(Range("N2"), Range("Q2").End(xlDown))
For Each c In r
c.Select
If c.Value <> "" Then
End If
Next c
End Sub

I searched for non-blank formula and the above has now worked =D Thanks for all your help!
Dec 29, 2011 at 06:45 AM
one small sophistication(nor correction)

If c.Value <> "" Then 

unquote

c is a range. the default property of a range is its value as long as it is one cell
so it is enought
If c<> "" Then 

try