My MSN won't work!!

Closed
Marioxmonster - Dec 12, 2011 at 06:53 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Dec 12, 2011 at 07:03 PM
Hello, I've had MSN for some time now and one day all of a sudden it just didn't open. I tried opening it manually and a box appeared that said "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail." I really need help with this, I don't know what to do.

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 12, 2011 at 07:03 PM
Side by Side architecture uses a trick in a file called a 'manifest' to call
a special system file instead of the regular Vista system file (a .dll). The
error is saying that finding that special dll written for that application
is not working somehow. (side-by-side configuration is incorrect). It's possible that a Windows update has modified one of the system files in a way that MSN Messenger can't process.

I suggest you either delete and reinstall Windows Live or do a system file check - see this Microsoft page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Good Luck