Find and Display Match Text between columns

Closed
Zig - Dec 19, 2011 at 02:17 PM
RWomanizer Posts 365 Registration date Monday February 7, 2011 Status Contributor Last seen September 30, 2013 - Dec 20, 2011 at 12:36 AM
Hello,

I have a work sheet listing Client names in column A and IP for each client in column B. Column C has a list of IPs which I need to match up to a client name and I would like to display that client name in column D.

A B C D
Client 1 uniqueIP1 UniqueIP to match agains column B Display Client name from A1
Client 2 uniqueIP2 UniqueIP to match agains column B Display Client name from A1
Client 2 uniqueIP3 UniqueIP to match agains column B Display Client name from A1
Client 2 uniqueIP4 UniqueIP to match agains column B Display Client name from A1
Client 3 uniqueIP5 UniqueIP to match agains column B Display Client name from A1
Client 4 uniqueIP6 UniqueIP to match agains column B Display Client name from A1

Please let me know if you can help me generate an excel function to do this match. I have 100s of IPs to go through.

Thank you,
Zig

1 response

RWomanizer Posts 365 Registration date Monday February 7, 2011 Status Contributor Last seen September 30, 2013 120
Dec 20, 2011 at 12:36 AM
First of all copy column b and paste before column A, because the lookup cell should be on the left of reference cell for using Vlookup, now use Vlookup.

write the formula in column D as under:

(assuming that first row is header)

Formula in D2 = Vlookup(C2,A:B,2,false)

now you get the desired result.

Cheers!
Rahul :)