Explorer.exe won't let me open folders/files

Closed
Kathy - Jan 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM
 Blocked Profile - Jan 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Hello, yesterday I restarted my netbook (it's an Eee PC) because it got really slow when I get it out of sleep mode (it always acts slow coming out of sleep mode so it's not unusual) and after I restarted it something must've happened to explorer.exe because now, since yesterday, whenever I try to open a folder or go through the Start menu to open a program I get an error message that says:

"(the file path)/(the file name).exe Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

And then promptly after that explorer.exe crashes and comes back. When I try to open a folder it doesn't give me an error message it just crashes then comes back. This happens for every file from Google Chrome, to Minecraft, to MS Paint. I have to run Task Manager and browse through that every time I want to run a program or open a file. It seems that this issue has been gradual because I've slowly been losing access to certain files that I use (free art programs such as NekoPaint and cursor makers) and now it's just a sudden onset. I have Windows XP SP3. Not to mention I have a few hardware issues happening and a few months ago I had to use a live USB to get this working again after the registry became corrupted. Scanned with Malwarebytes and spybot and they found nothing. Help?

Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jan 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Greetings,

Please, bare in mind that Kioskea is a mutual aid community, all answers on the forum are provided by volunteers who give their time free to help solve issues.

Therefore, it is specifically requested from Kioskea forum users correspond showing mutual respect. Therefore, when requesting assistance, the use of polite expressions,as for elsewhere in similar circumstances, is appreciated. (please, thank you, appreciate, grateful, etc.)

https://ccm.net/apps-sites/internet-archeology/ccm/10131-terms-of-use-for-ccm-respect-for-others/#politesse

Please, copy, modify and repost your message respecting the politeness charter.

We trust that you understand.