Conditionally pull data from another list

Closed
eskagsms Posts 24 Registration date Wednesday February 9, 2011 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2012 - May 29, 2012 at 07:14 AM
eskagsms Posts 24 Registration date Wednesday February 9, 2011 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2012 - May 30, 2012 at 06:40 AM
Dear All,

I need help in the following matter urgently, please can anyone help?

I have an Excel workbook containing a list of file names in Column E (*.wav). Let's name it "Calllog.xls".

I have another workbook named "tracker.xls" containing the same .wav file names (not in the same order) in Column "C". The column "D" in this tracker.xls workbook contains information on the contents of the voice file input manually in text (for example, "This file contains background noise" after hearing the voice file...

I need a macro or code or formula, that will "auto-populate" Column "F" in the Calllog.xls workbook by matching the file names in the tracker.xls (Column "C") and copy and paste the corresponding text data from the same row in Column "D" of the Calllog.xls.

Please can anyone help?

Thanks and regards,

EskagSMS
India

2 responses

Mehedad Posts 22 Registration date Thursday April 19, 2012 Status Member Last seen April 16, 2013 3
May 30, 2012 at 05:00 AM
I think you can use VLOOKUP in the Column F of Callog.xls

Incase you don't know what VLOOKUP is, apply the below formula in F2 of Callog.xls:

=VLOOKUP(E2,'[Tracker.xls]Sheet1'!$C:$D,2,FALSE)

Both the workbooks have to be open when the formula is entered or else you need to specify the File Path in the formula. And the column (Col C) in Tracker.xls has to be sorted in Ascending order (Sort A to Z).

Please check the sheet name in Workbook Tracker.xls and change accordingly in the formula.

Let us know if it worked.
eskagsms Posts 24 Registration date Wednesday February 9, 2011 Status Member Last seen May 30, 2012
May 30, 2012 at 06:40 AM
That worked great even without not sorting. Thanks a lot.