Can connect to network, but not Internet

Closed
Black0ut - Jun 9, 2012 at 04:01 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jul 30, 2012 at 09:54 PM
Hello,

I can connect to the wireless network with laptops and smartphones, but my desktop won't connect to the internet. If I unplug the modem and router and give it a bit, the problem goes away. I stay connected for a couple days, and then it happens again. I ran scans with AVG and Spybot, but neither found any problems. When I run the diagnostic it just keeps suggesting that I reset the IP settings, which does nothing. I can continue to unplug the modem every few days, but I'd really rather figure out what the problem is.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM
This sounds like an intermittent hardware problem with either the router, the Ethernet cable or the network card in the desktop. My guess is changing the router will fix things.

Good Luck
My laptop has never had a problem connecting. My desktop will be in the middle of a download and lose connectivity. If it was the router, shouldn't it be happening to more than just one computer? The wireless in the desktop is a USB stick, is there a way that I could check that to see if it's going bad?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 30, 2012 at 09:54 PM
You could try the USB stick in you laptop. Can you try using a LAN cable to connect the desktop to the router?