All my icons dissappeared and the task bar!

Closed
Joseck - Jun 26, 2012 at 09:59 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Jun 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM
I had a similiar issue happen to my computer. This happened on an HP 2000 laptop. The operating system is Windows 7. I noticed the problem over half an hour ago. It seemed to have happened after closing a program in task manager ("documents" and one of my open web browsers). Before this happened my computer was being really sluggish and my Norton anti-virus software was saying it was running a full system virus scan. Now all my icons and my task bar are completely gone as well as the norton notifications. Even the the start buttton is gone! I tried pressing Ctrl Alt Delete but the task manager will not come up anymore. I even right-clicked on the desktop but no options come up. The only thing that shows up is the last Internet window I have opened that I'm writing this post on. Once I close this window, I'm afraid my laptop will be rendered useless. I'm not quite sure how this happened and so far none of the solutions are working for me. Please can you Help!!!!!!!!
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jun 27, 2012 at 12:39 AM
You might have a virus or you might have a hard disk that is failing or just some glitch in Windows.

You are going to need to restart the computer at some point and you might need to do a Windows Repair or a factory restore.

I am currently doing this for a friend's HP laptop so I can give you the steps for the Repair/reinstall.

You press F11 (multiple times) right after you start the PC.
You get a option to run a Windows Restore, Windows Repair, backup your files and/or restore to factory default.

I would 1st try a simple reboot to see what will happen.

2nd I would try the Restore to a previous backup.

Then I would try the "Repair" option to see if Windows files can be repaired.

as a last resort (if you have an external backup hard drive) I suggest you backup your data and then do a factory restore. That will take some time and then you might have hours of Windows updates that need to be downloaded and installed.