Computer won't restart after shutdown w updat

Closed
Melissa6 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 28, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 28, 2012 - Aug 28, 2012 at 01:28 AM
Melissa6 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 28, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 28, 2012 - Aug 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Last night I pressed the shutdown with updates button. Never done this before. It then told me it was updating with 12 updates. This morning it started with a lot of gobbly gook on screen, then stopped with a few words like "machine parts" or something. Could not do anything so turned it off. Now it won't start at all. Any ideas? I can follow instructions but plain english please, I'm new to this forum.

Old ASUS laptop with Windows Vista.
Related:

1 response

Blocked Profile
Aug 28, 2012 at 01:31 PM
Hello,

I have looked at similar problems in the Kioskea forum and I believe that this should be your solution. All the credits goes to Joshuacogo, thanks.

Disregard everything else.. heres the fix:

MANUAL FIX TO WINDOWS UPDATE LOOP

1. Insert the Recovery/Install DVD into the computer
2. Boot off of the DVD. When you first start your computer, the first screen you see should give you the key combination to press to enter a 'multi-boot' menu. On Dell's this key is F12 but it varries by each manufacturer. Once you find it and are at the multiboot menu, choose to boot of CD/DVD
3. When prompted (after it has booted to the CD/DVD) choose "repair my computer" and enter the command prompt
4. Type C: (with colon) and press enter
5. Then type cd c:\windows\winsxs and press enter
6. Then type del pending.xml and press enter
7. Restart your computer

That should kill any pending updates.

All that other advice about safemode and recovery, switching memory sticks, launching to last known config... does not work!!!! But the directions above do. I know, I tried everything.. this advice above actually worked, and I didnt have to reset to defaults, or reformat.

Hope that this helps solve the problem that you are experiecing.
Melissa6 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday August 28, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 28, 2012
Aug 28, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Can't open the disk drive to insert recovery disk.