Problem Acccessing D drive

Closed
Kim - Feb 9, 2009 at 09:16 AM
 Wufpack Dave - Mar 9, 2009 at 04:15 PM
Hello,
i have a problem opening my D drive in my computer. i have Windows Vista running on my laptop. i have 2 partiction on my laptop for data. last week i can able to access my D drive when i came this morning to office i found the problem. i have all the Windows updates and Norton Antivirus update up to date. hwen i clicking on D drive it is giving me message Access Denied and when i am trying to open D drive from Explorer it is also giving me the same message Access Denied. So please help me in sloving the problem. i have lot of data in D drive which is very important for my work.
Related:

2 responses

RichyB Posts 36 Registration date Sunday February 8, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 11, 2009 12
Feb 9, 2009 at 09:38 AM
Are you able to right click the d drive and click explore.

are you able to go Start Run -> and type d: and press enter?

Let me know if either of these help or dont help.
Dell Inspiron or Latitude- I had a similar situation with my D-drive, which I rarely use. I called Dell as it is for my Inspiron and they had me run a diagnostics. To run a hard drive diagnostics do the following.

1) Restart the computer
2) While Windows XP is starting press F12 until you get a blue screen. (Some other programs may use F6; F8; Delete; or some other F-number, it should be in your owners manual)
3)Go to Menu then Diagnostics and press enter.
4)If you get to the color bars and hit Y (Yes) and everything passes testing you probably have a work around to fix.
Mine failed and I need a new D Drive as the Optical test failed. I just wish somebody had told me how to run diagnostics on my hard drive (C & D) before I had spent two hours searching the internet for a workaround. I try and do work arounds myself rather than sit on the phone or IM Dell as it is usaully faster.