Strange Audio Problem

Closed
boweasel - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Jean-François Pillou Posts 18707 Registration date Monday February 15, 1999 Status Webmaster Last seen February 16, 2023   - Sep 14, 2012 at 02:49 AM
Hello,

I refurbished an old XP Home Gateway (model MFATXPNT MDW 500S P4H, s/n 0031806932), and had a bit of trouble getting the drivers after an OS reinstall.

Finally found these:
http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2590
and everything seemed to be working perfectly.

Then I rebooted and noticed that I had no sound, although Sounds and Audio Devices in control panel looked okay indicating my default device for playback was SB Audigy 2 Audio (B400).

Device Manager pretty much said the same thing under Sound Video and Game Controller. The only oddity was in Other Devices. There was a yellow ? on something called Multimedia Audio Controller. Now, on the Gateway page there was only one driver listed under Audio Driver, and that's the one I downloaded, and the one that worked perfectly until I rebooted.

I fiddled around with uninstalling and reinstalling and finally got the sound back. And the sound stayed on for 2 days. Then I rebooted. And listened. Just after the Welcome screen the familiar Windows start-up tune started, played for 4 notes and then stopped.

If I reboot, even with the sound still non-existant, I always hear those same 4 notes. Then the sound cuts off - right in the middle of the Start Windows tune.

I even set a restore point when I had the sound working, rebooted, got the 4 notes and restored the PC. Didn't work. Apparently the drivers are not part of the restore process?????

Anyway, I've got an idea that the yellow ? on multimedia audio controller might be the problem, but I have no idea how to correct it.

I've tried a different audio cable and different speakers. They made no difference.
Related:

4 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Sep 13, 2012 at 02:38 PM
Hello

If there are yellow exclamation marks beside any one of the audio devices, it isn't working or the driver has not been installed correctly. Remove the faulty device using remove tab, and then go to the WINDOWS\INF\OTHER directory and delete the multimedia audio controller *.INF file.

You can now re-start the system to install the driver again or simply install through "add new hardware" from the control panel.

Good luck
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Sep 13, 2012 at 02:47 PM
P.S. I was the one who moved your post to hardware. My mistake, sorry.
boweasel Posts 7 Registration date Thursday September 13, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 23, 2013
Sep 13, 2012 at 03:17 PM
I have now gotten rid of any yellow question marks on the Device Manager by installing a SoundMax5420 driver. My BIOS version is BF86510A.15A.0030.P05 and that driver is SUPPOSED to be the one. After I installed I had sound.... until I rebooted. Then I was back to the same 4 notes.

Device Manager remains ? free, however.
Sep 13, 2012 at 04:00 PM
In my opinion, if you deleted the .inf file which would be replaced after the driver installation, with all due respect, and I may be wrong, could it be that the sound card has fried? (It rarely does).

A last suggestion, delete the sound card from the device manager and any application related to it in the add/remove programme utility. (We spell programme with a double "m" because we love "m's" but detest zees)

Reboot and the system will detect new hardware. That may do the trick.

Good luck
boweasel Posts 7 Registration date Thursday September 13, 2012 Status Member Last seen August 23, 2013
Sep 13, 2012 at 05:14 PM
I have deleted the sound card numerous times from DM. Letting it reinstall iz how I get the sound to work again. Once the sound is operational, it works for days - right up to the point of rebooting. Then I hear the complete Shutdown Windows jingle, followed by the first 4 notes of the Startup jingle (Which sounds remarkably similar to the startup tune). I have occasionally gotten as many as 7 or 8 notes on the startup before it cuts off.

But since I CAN get the sound to function through youtube or by playing a CD, doesn't that mean that the sound card is NOT fried?

You guys spell program with a totally superfluous 'm' and 'e' because, deep down you love typing. And you DO call the African equine with the black and white stripes a Zebra, don't you.
Jean-François Pillou Posts 18707 Registration date Monday February 15, 1999 Status Webmaster Last seen February 16, 2023  
Sep 14, 2012 at 02:49 AM
It seems like something (software ?) is interfering with the drivers or the driver isn't appropriate.

My guess is that you should :
- Use a software like SIW to be sure of the model and S/N of existing sound device and graphic card.
- Use a software like Malwarebytes to try to check the system for malwares (if your system is infected it might interfere).