All i can see is Desktop Wallpaper

Closed
irvinekinneas85 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday September 18, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2012 - Sep 18, 2012 at 03:36 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Sep 20, 2012 at 02:47 PM
Hi,

i'm in a lot of trouble with my pc. All of a sudden i started my PC (windows 7) and all i can see is my desktop wallpaper, no icons, no mouse, no sidebar. If i use the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) the screen becomes black and after a minute the wallpaper returns without nothing.

All i can do is run the pc in safe mode. I launched some antivirus and anti maleware and i removed some viruses. But i still get stuck in there. I really can't get out of it.

I tried also to backup windows but nothing changed..what should i do? i lost all the day try to search a solution on the web but the problem is too complicated, many many users can access to their task manager, but i not (only in safe mode)..

please help me!
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM
It looks like a restore to factory state is what you should do.

You tried to do a restore - how and why did it fail?
irvinekinneas85 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday September 18, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2012
Sep 19, 2012 at 03:46 AM
When i restore the pc it says nothing particular...simply the problem is not solved. I tried a lot of differents restore dates, but nothing changed. I used Avira to destroy 2 viruses, MalewareBytes to destroy another problem, registry mechanic and cccleaner to clean the rest.

I m afraid that all i can do is to format Windows..but i can't still understand why in safe mode all is good. And then, the last time i used my pc i really don't remember if i could have downloaded something with a virus inside...i guess no but from what i read on the web, it seems it's a virus which attacks explorer.exe..
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Sep 19, 2012 at 03:25 PM
A factory restore is a different procedure. It will wipe ALL data on the computer and reinstall Windows. I suggest you check your documentation for the proper procedure. Please also note that all your data files will be deleted.

Good Luck
irvinekinneas85 Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday September 18, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 20, 2012
Sep 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM
So i formatted and re-installed Windows 7 as new.

After the updates all was good. But after installing the video card drivers, the problem returned again. So i'm afraid that it's not a maleware but some stuff with the video card.
Infact when i start windows after the very first installation, the resolution was wrong (800x600 instead of 1320x) and i guess that the pc doesn't recognize the video card..but i m not sure, i would have thought to see a black screen if the video card was totally gone. What do you think ?

i m in a totally dead point..

thanks!
Sep 20, 2012 at 02:47 PM
It looks like Windows could not detect the video card and defaulted to the default VGA (800x600). You can go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters to see what video driver is being used.

You might try to manually have Windows search of a video driver, install the driver from the video card's CD or download the latest driver if you know the chipset that the video card uses.