Broken

Closed
Francoi!!! Posts 2 Registration date Monday November 5, 2012 Status Member Last seen November 5, 2012 - Nov 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Nov 9, 2012 at 01:58 PM
Hello, My name is Frances!

My laptop was fine and then the next day I turned it on and it has a very faint picture. However I can still slightly see the screen. I was wondering if there was anything I could to do revive it before I get a new one and spend more money.

Please Help!!!!x :)

2 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Nov 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Hi Frances,

As per your description, the video is very faint on your laptop. There could be two possible causes for this, try the fixes mentioned below and see if the issue is resolved:

1. The video is dim on the Laptop: Refer to the User's manual of the Laptop to check how to increase the brightness of the Laptop. Sometimes additional power setting may set the video to a lesser brightness mode to save battery, do check for these settings as well.

2. The video card drivers may be faulty: If the screen is visible to some extent and you can see the Desktop, uninstall the video card drivers and reinstall again. In case the video is too dim to see in the Normal Mode of Windows, follow the steps below to uninstall/install the video card drivers in Safe Mode:

a. Power on/Restart the computer.
b. Once the computer goes past the initial setup screen start tapping the F8 key on the keyboard.
c. It will show you Advanced Boot Options.
d. Select Safe Mode and hit Enter.
e. After loading some initial drivers the computer will show you the Desktop with a low resolution. While you are still in Safe Mode uninstall/install the Video card driver.

If you need any help with the video card driver installation, do reply with the Device instance ID of the video card driver.

To get the Device instance ID of the video card, right click the Computer/My Computer icon on the Desktop, select Manage, select Device Manager under Computer Management from the left pane, then expand Display Adapter from right pane. Right click the Device listed under Display Adapters, click properties, go to the Details tab, and then select Device Instance Id from the dropdown list. Make a note of this Device Instance ID.

Please do write back to us.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help and I did try it, however unfourtunatley it does not work!:( However I am very greatful for your help!

Francoi!
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Nov 9, 2012 at 01:58 PM
Hi Frances,

Thanks for replying. We can still try a few more steps mentioned below:

1. If you have an external monitor, try connecting it to the laptop and see if the video is still dim.
2. If you get good video on the external monitor, this indicates the problem is with the LCD panel and needs to be replaced.
3. If the video is same on the external monitor as well, this indicates the Graphics chip is bad on the motherboard and hence you need to replace the motherboard/graphics card (if a separate graphics card is present).

Please do write back to us if the above steps help you isolate the faulty part. In your reply please include Laptop Model details (Manufacturer's name and Model Number).