Black screen of doom.

Closed
fallenone05 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday December 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 6, 2012 - Dec 6, 2012 at 01:27 PM
fallenone05 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday December 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 6, 2012 - Dec 6, 2012 at 01:31 PM
Hello, my name's Hannah!

Despite with this is going to say about my computer being Windows 7, the laptop I'm having trouble with is a Toshiba with Vista. The model is 4 years old.

Today, I wake up and get up, turn my laptop on and it makes this horrid noise. I turned it off, turned it on, and it made the same noise. A little later I tried turning it on again and success! I was greeted with a system recovery option. I let it recover to the latest safety net and to no luck. It loads fine, makes it to the first load bar...

but then when it's supposed to show me the welcome and login screen it stays black with nothing but a cursor. I'm able to activate the sticky keys but I cannot access anything with CTRL+ALT+DEL.

I thought I'd check and see if maybe anything had been knocked loose and a chip in my laptop had in fact been knocked loose. I pushed it into place and restarted, thinking that maybe it would fix it.

Well, it didn't.

I've ran my computer in Safe, Normal and Safe with Network and it still cannot make it to the welcome and login screens.

I don't have a 32 bit Toshiba recovery disc (just a 64 bit) so I'm wondering if this is fixable?

Thank you.

Related:

1 response

fallenone05 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday December 6, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 6, 2012
Dec 6, 2012 at 01:31 PM
Let list some things installed on my laptop;
CCleaner
Kaspersky (it scans the C drive and looks for odd things, I don't remember what it's called)
MalwareBytes
AVG Free 2013

I use these often and scan very, very often. The last time I scanned with AVG, my laptop actually froze by the time the scan ended (or I assume as I let it run while I slept). I guess I should have done another scan.