Bios detecting my HDDs, but some not showing in My Computer

Closed
WongSolo Posts 2 Registration date Saturday January 26, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 31, 2013 - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM
 ihba - Dec 25, 2013 at 09:14 AM
Hello,
My comp config is as follow:
Gigabyte GA-EX58a-UD3R motherboard, tripple channel Corsair 3x4gb, Patriot 240gb SSD for the OS, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, i7 920 2.67GHz, brand new 650W Power Supply (Muscle Power, I just bought it few days ago), NVidia GeForce 9800GT Video Adapter, Pioneer DVD-RW ROM Drive.
All of my data are stored in Hitachi DeskStar Sata 3 2TB either 5400RPM or 7200RPM. But some of these HDDs are detected by the Bios (when as internal HDD) but not showing in My Computer/Windows Explorer (It appears in Device Manager and Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media) which caused me couldn't access my video file stored on those HDDs.
A week before, everything is running well and for some certain unknown reason, it doesn't work (I just realized the problem when I eschanged my HDD in HDD Docking). This happens when the HDD is connected as internal drive, as well as through HDD docking. I've check the HDDs which couldnt show up in My Computer by taking it and install it in another computer (i3 Proc. based desktop) as a second drive and it works fine.
At the same time, I also unable to access my Samsung Mini External HDD (120GB, 160GB) with the same symptom as mentioned above.
I've ever tried to disable, Uninstall the driver, scan hardware change through Device Manager, but couldn't solve my problem.
For the last few days, I tried to fresh install Wins7 Ultimate 64 bit on my brand new Hitachi Deskstar 2TB Sata3 HDD, experienced few times blue screen and never succeed till now. There is no temperature issue, since I opened up the casing and added 1 small AC Fan to help cool down my comp. In the casing, I've 3 x 12cm cooling fan, 1x8cm cooling fan and 12 cm cooling fan inside the Power Supply. PC's interior is cleaned regularly.
May I ask someone out there to assist me in solving my problem?
Thanks a lot in advance,
Related:

4 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Jan 29, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Hi WongSolo,

As you mentioned in your post that the Hard Drive works fine in other computer(s), it indicates the Hard Drives are good the problem could be with the motherboard or the ports on it. Let's try a few basic troubleshooting steps and check if this fixes the problem:

1. Disconnect the power source from the computer.
2. Remove any External peripherals from the machine.
3. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and then release. This will release any Flea Power stored in the machine.
4. Re-connect the power source try to power on the computer.
5. Check for any difference.
6. If the Hard Drive is still not detected, update the Chipset Drivers for the motherboard. You can find the Chipset Drivers from the Drivers Disc of the "Gigabyte GA-EX58a-UD3R motherboard".
7. Also, update the BIOS to the latest.

Note: Plug your computer to a good, working UPS before you update the BIOS. If you experience a loss of AC power or a significant voltage sag/spike during the BIOS flash, you will either have to buy a new BIOS chip or buy a new motherboard.

Please revert for clarification.
WongSolo Posts 2 Registration date Saturday January 26, 2013 Status Member Last seen January 31, 2013
Jan 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Hi Zohaib,
Sorry for the late replied, I'm trying to fresh install Windows 7 on my small capacity Patriot Inferno 60GB SSD in order to reduce my pending workloads. Firstly, thanks a lot for your reply.
Yes, the hard disk works fine in other computer. This is the second motherboard I'm using right now, formerly I used GA-EX58A-UD7 and experienced similar problem before. Problem solved when I installed fresh Windows on a 2TB WDC Caviar Black Hard Drive, but later the similar problem came up. This time, I tried to do the same by using Hitachi Desk Star Sata 3, 2TB, 7200 RPM Drive but failed (I did it for about 4 times).
Among the 7 points you pointed out, point 6 has been done by downloading the Chipset Drivers from Gigabyte website. Point 7 is the step that I'm worrying about, because of the risk so I'm in doubt for doing it. I'm using a UPS to power the computer.
For your further information, I've installed a fresh Windows 7 on a Patriot Inferno 60gb SSD and it works fine. I gathered further information for you to review it. It is a comparison between my Windows 7 on Patriot WildFire 240gb SSD which is in problem and Patriot Inferno 60gb SSD which is working fines (all of my hard drive can be read/accessed).
Sorry, I couldn't paste the picture to here, maybe because it is only supporting plain text so I couldn't paste the pictures to here. Should I send it by email (which address)?
Thanks,
Henry
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 2, 2013 at 05:41 AM
Hi Henry,

Thank you for replying with details. Your first concern is about flashing the BIOS, for this it is recommended you take a computer technician's help. A technician can help you flash the BIOS without damaging the motherboard components. Or you can contact the Motherboard Manufacturer's support for better guidance. The details you have provided are sufficient, however for your future reference if you want to post images you can use: https://postimages.org/

Please do write back to us.
I was having the same problem now I upgraded my PSU (smps) to a bigger one the problem dissapeared