Web Hosting

Solved/Closed
karthikjgd Posts 4 Registration date Sunday February 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 7, 2009 - Feb 16, 2009 at 03:06 AM
 Mike - Feb 18, 2009 at 10:02 AM
Hello,

I registered a domain name from www.melbourneit.com.au . I am new to webdesigning. What is the next step to upload my file? I tried with FileZilla to connect with there 2 server names. But after establishing the connection it failed and showed message like this...

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: Connection timed out
Error: Could not connect to server

Do I need to register this domain name in some kind of Web Hosting website?

I have a well equiped server PC with me. If I have server do I need to register my domain name in a web Hosting website? I am really confused...Help Me....

Karthik

4 responses

Check your ftp server - all info should have been given to you by your hosting company. When you registered you should have been given three sets of info:

1. Site info (dns, domain, etc.)

2. Ftp info (ftp site, user, password)

3. Domain administration info (cPanel login, or equivalent)

Also, make sure you have the correct permissions for your ftp program through your firewall.
Well,

I think that only registered my domain name. But not registered it in the host server. I paid USD 210 for 10 years. I think that if I can have a good kind of server I can upload my webpages into the server. But I don't know how to do that. May I get the steps to do that.

Regards
Karthik
rossdavid Posts 185 Registration date Tuesday November 18, 2008 Status Member Last seen August 6, 2010 29
Feb 16, 2009 at 11:03 AM
Or try to register on the domain of www.servage.net
May I ask which web hosting company you have chosen?

This way, I can guide you on their specific rules/options.

Again, a reputable hosting company will provide all access information once you have created an account.

after you have registered a domain name with a company this is what can usually be your information:

ftp server: ftp.{your domain name}.{your domain extension}

port: 21

Username: They may assign this for you

Password: They usually always give this to you, but may allow you to change it.

finally - if all of this information you have is as correct as possible, try changing your connection to passive mode and see if you can get in without a "time out"

also try CuteFtp @ https://www.globalscape.com/cuteftp

or WS_FTP @ https://www.ipswitch.com/

these are both reputable ftp programs that allow full function for 30 days.
karthikjgd Posts 4 Registration date Sunday February 15, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 7, 2009
Feb 17, 2009 at 08:21 PM
Dear Mike,

I registered it with www.melbourneit.com.au. I think its a reputable company. I just registered the domain name for 10 years. But I think if I need to upload files I need to register my domain name to the "Host". But I found in other website that we can get a domain name for free and register the domain name in Host for a certain amount. Dude I am really confused.

I have a good new server machine which is pretty fast. I think I can set up in that and upload files. But I do not know what I need to do. How I can setup a FTP my own? I can design pages but I am new to this kind of stuff...

Regards
Karthik
I am confused.

You have a domain name already.

Are you putting this web site on your own computer or are you having someone else do it for you?

Doing it yourself is a lot more difficult. You will need a static IP address and a machine running a web server operating system. Setting up you machine as a web server requires server skills which I can explain as you go. once you have the above. Go into the account settings for the company where you purchased the domain name and have set the name servers for that domain point to your static IP address.

Someone else doing the server hosting for you is easier since you do not have to set the server up. All you have to do is just point their name servers to the name servers of the new hosting company.