Copy data from one WB to another

Closed
sistrbubbles Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday April 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2013 - Apr 3, 2013 at 08:59 PM
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Hello. I'm hoping I can describe my problem/question in a way that makes sense... Here goes:

At my work, we have a program that will create an excel workbook of our current open orders titled "backlog MM-DD-YY" (the date being the date the program is run). This workbook has columns titled Customer Name, Sales Order Number, Part Number, Due Date, etc., Comments.

I'm looking for a formula/macro to copy the text in the Comments column from the previous backlog report to the current one, keeping in mind that the report changed based on the shipment of orders and the receiving of new ones.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you have any further questions, or need more info.

Thanks!!!

2 responses

rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Apr 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I am understanding it correctly

1. On day 1, you get a report with some comments

2. On day 2, you get a new report with some newer data. Howerver that new book also has information about items from day 1, but comments are now updated.

3. You want sort of running "comments" log

It might be easier to answer you by looking at some sample book. But on surface it looks like you would need a macro.
1. check in newer item was in previous workbook
2. if found, copy the comments and paste in new book
3. if not found, no action

Depending on rows, you can also look into using some formula (may be VLOOKUP)
sistrbubbles Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday April 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen April 6, 2013
Apr 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM
That's exactly what I'm looking to do! Just can't figure out the coding...
rizvisa1 Posts 4478 Registration date Thursday January 28, 2010 Status Contributor Last seen May 5, 2022 766
Apr 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM
First thing that is a must, is some way to uniquely identify the items in two workbook to match up items in the two work books. Since it is a system generated workbooks, I am presuming that's not an issue. Other issue is that next day, previous day's workbook must be available. I am guessing, no issues in that too.

You can use vlookup for matching.
Do this
1. Open excel.
2. Start macro recorder
3. Open day 1 workbook
4. Open day 2 workbook
5. In day 2 workbook, pull a sample comment from day 1 workbook using "VLOOKUP" or something that would work for you
6. Stop the macro
7. Paste the resulting macro back here