PC not detecting Seagate 500 gb HD , but detects pendrives,other

Closed
Ordinaryme Posts 4 Registration date Monday June 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 4, 2013 - Jun 3, 2013 at 06:38 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jun 5, 2013 at 07:34 AM
Hello,

Hi, I am new here. was going through a problem and wanted to get it resolved.
My PC's stopped recognizing Seagate HD all of a sudden yesterday. It was working fine before, and I have had it for around 2 years now(so not in warranty period)
In the same slot, all my other pendrives and WD hard disk are working fine. I tried connecting Seagate to my Tablet, and its working fine there(so, not a hardware problem,most probably). Also tried it with my Bravia and works fine there as well.

So, what seems to be the problem? The slot(but other HD's work), the Seagate(but it works in other systems) or some kind of virus in my PC??

Please help
Related:

5 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

Click on Start --> Run --> Type cmd and press Enter.

"Command Prompt" will be opened. Now enter the below command.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 --> Press Enter

start devmgmt.msc --> Press Enter

"Device Manager" will be opened.

Now in the device manager, click on "View" --> Select "Show hidden devices"

Now expand the nodes "Disk Drives" and "Universal serial bus controller" by

clicking on "+" symbol. If you find any greyed entries --> Right click on it -->

Select "Uninstall".

Restart your PC and connect your external drive.

Good Luck
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Connect the external hard drive --> Click on Start --> Run --> Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
"Device Manager" will be opened. Is there any yellow mark ?
Good Luck
Ordinaryme Posts 4 Registration date Monday June 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 4, 2013
Jun 3, 2013 at 01:19 PM
yeah, you're right! there IS a yellow exclamation mark in one of the USB DEVICE.

What do i do from here?
Ordinaryme Posts 4 Registration date Monday June 3, 2013 Status Member Last seen June 4, 2013
Jun 3, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Update

I went through a guide over the internet that in order to get the yellow mark removed, I should simply uninstall all the USB ports. I did that, and restarted my PC and they got reinstalled automatically, and there isn't a yellow mark now.
But the problem still persists. The only thing, I think, that I haven't tried is try it on another PC/laptop(I'll get it done tomorrow at my friend's house)
Although if there were a solution, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Like I told in my earlier post mate, I have tried this method too. The yellow mark's gone but the hard disk is still not being detected.
Jun 5, 2013 at 07:34 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Is your external hard drive getting detected in another PC. Also try updating your chipset and usb drivers.
Good Luck