Watching Video from my PC on my TV

Closed
NukedFood Posts 4 Registration date Thursday February 19, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 22, 2009 - Feb 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM
 Meatball - Aug 12, 2010 at 06:26 PM
Hello,

I got a basic setup where I use an S-Video cable to watch videos from my PC to my TV. When I use windows media player the video plays on my monitor but not on my TV. But when I used VLC it played on both.

Then I reinstalled Windows, used the same graphics card driver as before but now when I use VLC the video does not come up on my TV. Thought it might be because I was using a newer version of VLC, but I uninstalled and used an older version and it still doesn't work. Updated graphics driver but it still won't work on my TV

Anyone know why this would happen? Anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers
Related:

38 responses

qwerty.5665 Posts 14 Registration date Sunday August 17, 2008 Status Member Last seen March 20, 2009 5
Feb 21, 2009 at 02:35 AM
hi,
you have to set the screen resolution correctly.
go to control panel > display settings,
there you can activate the second screen, that is, your tv screen.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I use the Catalyst Control Centre and then Clone Main with my TV. Resolution is fine, my desktop appears on my TV perfectly. Its just when I play a video in VLC, the VLC window is black on my TV but the video plays on my PC monitor. It used to work fine and I've watched videos on my TV with no problems. So I know my settings are okay, it just doesn't work anymore.

Any one know why?

Thanks
thank for your advice..how do you know what your resolutions should be?..
Benjamin111 Posts 2 Registration date Friday May 1, 2009 Status Member Last seen May 2, 2009 > NukedFood
May 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM
I have the same problem can you help
Hi,
what hardware do I need to watch video on my PC & TV set with the same clarity of picture
please reply to my email

Regards,

David
helper > NukedFood
Feb 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM
i have the same problem but it depends on your tv brand, please email me back!!! I have the same problem mne doesn't play anymore but my other tv still play the movies.
go to display settings, click advanced.

Go to troubleshoot.

Under Hardware Acceleration turn it to the second lowest option.

Problem solved.
Oorwullie, you rock!
That worked perfectly.

Thanks!
Thank you very much. Very simple and it worked! A million thanks!
waw thank you so much
hey it worked for me too!!! thanks Oorwullie
it works, but then my pc screen is really small compared to the size of the tv screen; not fully enjoyable. no way around this?
Mike from Chicago
Jul 6, 2009 at 02:50 PM
OK, normally I don't respond to tech boards but I just figured this one out after struggling with it for about 3 days after reinstalling windows on my machine.

I have a GeForce FX 5200 card - NVIDIA software.

Here is what you do - to go control panel - display - Advanced - then the GeForce FX 5200 tab - go down to Full screen video - in that tab you will see Full Screen device - make sure that it is set to Secondary display. Then hit apply and OK.

Now you can play your video on your TV while at the same time be able to do what ever you want on that computer and it doesn't show up on the TV screen.

In addition, if you want to play youtube clips or games on your TV you can.

The TV can now play VLC player videos and when you aren't playing the videos it clones your computer monitor.

Hope that helps - I am so happy I got this under control!!
NukedFood Posts 4 Registration date Thursday February 19, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 22, 2009
Feb 22, 2009 at 05:10 AM
Hi,

thanks for your reply. I use Catalyst Control Centre and clone my desktop to my TV. The resolution is fine my desktop is cloned perfectly. The problem is when I play a video. On my TV the VLC program window won't display the video and is just black while on my PC monitor the video plays fine.

I know my setup can work because I have been watching videos for ages on my TV with current settings. It just stopped working. Anyone know why?

Cheers
can u tell me how u set up ur catalyst controls to match with your tv please? because I think that is my problem I just dont know how to set up the pc catalyst settings to match my tv.. thanks
I'm experiencing the same thing. The loaded movies will play on my computer, but a black sceen window on my TV. The desk top icons are behind the blank sceen. Can you please help me???
did you figure it out? if u fixed ur problem I had same problem. my email is cab007@shsu.edu
Video cards will only render media like video to one output. Therefore, to get your video to show up on your TV, go into your display properties and tell your second display (your TV) to be your primary display.
Thanks Narf! works perfectly now :)

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
i wanna now why does my cpu shutdown when I watch movie,videos,games an more help
bluealchemist
Nov 25, 2009 at 09:18 PM
sounds like you need a better power supply. not enough watts when needed will cause the shut down when system is under stress.
You may be overheating. If you take your console apart and use canned air to clean away dust this may help. Computers collect dust easily and they need to be cleaned out in order to work optimally. Get that dust out and you may be good.
You have to set your resolution to one that fits screen size then your problem should be solved
Goto Control Panel, then Display, then goto the Settings tab, then click the Advanced button near the bottom (above the apply button) then goto the Overlay Tab, then click the Theater Mode Options button. Then change the Overlay Display Mode from Standard to Theater Mode & click apply. Also you can choose to change the theater mode setting as well. Change from 4:3 Standard TV mode to 16:9 Widescreen if your TV is a Widescreen and you can also select Full Screen Video if you wish to use Full Screen Mode when playing video files.
baba > zaffo44
Jul 3, 2009 at 08:11 PM
I can not find overly mode after advance button,where is it?
Baba
Murdoc > zaffo44
Aug 6, 2009 at 05:52 AM
Thank you Zaffo, this is exactly what I needed to solve my problem. It works great now! Thanks again!
Jerry > zaffo44
Dec 23, 2009 at 04:52 PM
Thanks works grate
psychofilly > zaffo44
Dec 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM
Thank you! I updated to Windows 7 from Vista and it reset the resolution on my 2nd (TV) monitor. Your post got me looking in the right direction to resize my second monitor back to it's old settings.
It could just be that the video card you have is only capable of doing one channel for video output, it is possible that there was a driver update somewhere along the line that allowed multiple channel output, and it is also possible that update caused problems, so the newest drivers had to remove that abillity to resolve this. Theres only one way to know this or something else, talk to the manufacturer of the video card.

for troubleshooting in the meantime:

Try making the tv your primary monitor on your computer. Of course make sure the previous suggestions are set as well (resolutions). To find what the resolution should be for that tv, read the manual for the tv or just do a search online with the model and brand of the tv.
I have been having this problem, too. VLC used to work fine with the S-video cable to my wide-screen tv. Now I have the same problem described by the original poster. The desktop appears just fine on the tv screen and the audio goes to the tv, too, via a cable I run from the headphone jack on the computer. However, the picture screen within the VLC window is just black. As I said, it USED TO work fine. The only thing that has changed is that I answered "yes" a few weeks ago when I got a message asking if I wanted to upgrade to the latest version of VLC. I am thinking there is osmething about the latest version that makes it incompatible with the S-video setup I have. I'd like to go back to he prior version to see if that works. I'll let you know if I figure out how to do that, and whether it works.

Has anyone else here figured out a fix for this?

Thanks.
It turned out to be a driver issue. I remembered that I had to re-install my Windows XP Pro not long ago, and maybe I have not used the S-video cable to the TV since then. So, I went to the Dell site and downloaded the recommended drivers there. (I am using a Dell laptop.)

I hope this helps someone.

cheers . . .

termc
I AM IN PROBLEM IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME SO THIS WILL BE SOOOOO THANKS
I JUST INSTALL GEFORCE FX 5500 GRAPHIC CARD FOR VIDEO OUTPUT PURPOSE.I USE 2 MONITORS
1-WHO ATTACHED WITH MY PC
2-WHO SET WITH MY VIDEO PLAYER
MONITOR NUMBER 2 IS ATTACHED WITH VCR VIA TELEVESION BOX WHO SO HOW CAN I JOINT ALL THINGS
1-MY VG CARD VIDEO OUT WHO I "IN" MY VCR,VCR OUT IS GO TO TV BOX IN THAN BOX OUT VIDEO CABLE TO
ANOTHER (NUM0-2) MONITOR...AM I RIGHT OR WRONG...?
I WANT ALSO KNOW THAT HAVE ANY CABLE/JOINTER AVAIL IN MARKET WHO ATTACTH VIDEO OUT (FROM MY GRAPHIC CARD) TO DIRECT MONITOR DATA CABLE (I DONT WANT ATTACHED VIDEO BOX BETWEEN MONITOR NUMBER 2 AND VIDEO OUT CABLE
PLSSSSSSS HELP ME
Im looking for the same thing. I took the screen off my laptop and want to replace it with a monitor, by hooking the video cable from the card up to a screen.

How can I do it?
Turn off hardware acceleration on your graphics card.

It should work after that.
i hook up my laptop to my tv using a vga cable which works fine for watching films but every time I put the video to full screen t goes he audio goes out of sync. what can I do to sort this out.
Freelancer NZ
Nov 28, 2009 at 07:43 PM
SOLUTION

Hey

Im runnin a windows 2000 and I had the same problem, I had 3 screens running, the laptop screen, a seperate standard screen and the TV. VLC media Player 0.9.8a

I managed to fix it, I opened

Contol Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced/Displays

It had 3 options for the moniter, panel and tv, I changed it to make the TV the default screen, The Moniter stoped working but the picture on the TV began working.
Try using a PC to TV Converter you can purchase them from amazon.com for about $30.00.
Hello,
I want to watch videos I have on my laptop through my TV. I have bought a VGA cable which I have connected to the TV and it displays the film through the PC channel on the television but no sound! I have also connected a cable (white and red one end) into TV and other end into the headphone jack on the laptop. This produces the sound through the TV but on the S Video channel not the PC channel. So basically I can watch the film with no sound or listen to the film with no visual as they are both on different channels.
Is there a way to have the two working together?? ?? Thanks in advance.
To the question about the blank screen with no video picture, try setting your TV as your Primary Display and your Monitor as your secondary Display that allways does the trick on my Nividia graphics card. To the 2nd question about watching video through your Laptop to Tv, VGA is just a video signal line its not audio too so your going to need to run an audio feed to your TV as well to get that audio/video signal working to see and hear both at the same time. On my TV I have a VGA input and RCA inputs too (yellow, red, white) connections so if I had my laptop running to it I would have the VGA line running to the VGA and Red and White Audio lines running to the line out/ headphone jack on my computer. I would check out your local radio shack thats where I get my adapters and such and they can help with your troubles. Good Luck
i had this same problem, but when I downloaded vlc it started working, then I tried a different movie but this time it didnt work. so I tried the first movie and it didnt work, so I tried quicktime player and it worked, I have no idea what is going on but now I just convert all my movies to mpeg4 and they all work on the tv on quicktime
I had this situation, and I found that videos on You Tube were showing,as You Tube videos are MP4 Movies

so convert your video and away you go.
manchester man
Mar 16, 2010 at 03:16 AM
problem to all your solutions , 1 you need WECP which is (WINDOWS ESSENTIALS CODEC PACK : This is a free download and then install) Second of all your tv well best thing to do is use a standard cable IE s-video get signal on your screen and adjust the graphics card resolution to match you tv once you have done that restar your computer and all should work. if you dont get signal from your TV in the first place do what I did selected the relevant PC channel on the TV and turn pc on and then connect your cable that will work and then u can adjust the settings, easy as that
hey man you need to look in your advanced options of your graphice card and tell the pc which component you are using sometimes your pc will not auto reconize if you are using s-video or vga