Booting a USB External HDD Created on HP Laptop into a Desktop

Closed
edesigns Posts 4 Registration date Thursday August 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 8, 2013 - Aug 8, 2013 at 02:09 PM
 Blocked Profile - Aug 9, 2013 at 08:06 AM
08/08/13
Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion Laptop running Win XP. I removed the HD and mounted it in a USB External Case for use in other systems. It was working perfectly in the Laptop, however when I try to Boot it in another Computer, it appears to load OK, then as it flashes the Login screen, it goes to Reboot. I have tried the following in the Start-up Screen:
-
1) Boot Normally
2) Boot Safe Mode
3) Boot Safe Mode w/Network
4) Boot w/Prompt
5) Boot w/Loggin

I've tried it in a Desktop running Win XP. First Boot is USB HDD.
All the above look like they will start-up, but fail at the last moment.

I've tried it in a Acer Laptop running Win 8. First Boot is USB HDD.
Fails and goes to Reboot immediately.

Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Sincerely,

T. Casey
EDesigns

Related:

5 responses

Blocked Profile
Aug 8, 2013 at 02:22 PM
What peices of hardware are attached. Good afternoon! Isolate away all hardware that is not needed, cds, dvd, video cards.

Try that.
edesigns Posts 4 Registration date Thursday August 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 8, 2013
Aug 8, 2013 at 02:44 PM
Only a USB mouse is attached. Bye the way, when I am logged in on the Desktop, the USB HDD can be read perfectly showing all the files and partitions.
Thanks.
Blocked Profile
Aug 8, 2013 at 03:03 PM
run a chkdsk and make certain that it is stable.

If you can share it out, but wont boot to it, run virus scan on it!
edesigns Posts 4 Registration date Thursday August 8, 2013 Status Member Last seen August 8, 2013
Aug 8, 2013 at 05:34 PM
I ran a chkdsk and Virus Scan on all volumes. Everything checked out perfectly.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Aug 8, 2013 at 08:41 PM
If anyone has more to say on this project, I would appreciate your input. I don't think the previous replies addressed the problem in its entirety. Thanks.
Blocked Profile
Aug 9, 2013 at 08:06 AM
I do apologize, but in June I encountered a similar problem. The hard drive checked out in an external case, it boots in another case, and I can get to the files when accessed behind another OS. When I put the harddrive into the laptop, it wont boot. Starts up to Windows, and as soon as the Fan kicks in, it NO-POW! Change out fan, no change. Swap out motherboard (yea brand new motherboard), isolated all componants away, new ram, still no boot. Per advisement of the hardware folks here, purchased new thermal paste and reinstalled cpu and heat sinks, still no good.

In my experiences (Componant t-shooting, card swap-high level computer systems), sometimes a peice of hardware is bad! Unless you have a bench to isolate away all componants, the half split method is tough to accomplish in a laptop.

Please understand that multiple reboots are common when "installing" drivers and New OS. Everytime you attempt to boot the desktop with that licensed OS, it is going to check for major hardware changes/ and attempt to recover. I will be honest, I never tried to boot my desktop with my USB disk, as I was only concerned with repairing my broken laptop, and ultimately just Recoverng Data from the disk to give back to my customer!

Keep in mind a few things:

1) Windows installs are tied to specific hardware. Because you are putting the hard drive with completely new hardware, you would have to re-register Windows.

2) Because your Windows Key was provided by HP for a laptop, you may or may not be able to do this.

3) Just swapping in a hard drive with an OS on it doesn't always work. Sometimes they flat out refuse to boot.

4) If your laptop's hard drive was like most, it's only a 5,400RPM drive. These are much slower than the 7,200RPM found in desktop drives. Your boot times and program launch times will be much slower if 1-3 does work.

Once again, I am sorry for not being able to answer you query completely, but sometimes hardware doesn't want to play nice in the sand box!