Installation problem with windows xp sp3 on dell inspiron 6000

Closed
akboxer24 Posts 3 Registration date Friday September 27, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2013 - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 - Oct 3, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Hello I'm hoping you can help with an issue I'm having with my old dell inspiron 6000.

I recently dug out the computer - it's in great shape actually - and began the process of updating it. The last time I turned it on was around 2007.

I lost the installation disks that came with it, and ordered the disks from Dell. They sent me the windows xp recovery disk with sp3 on it.

I did a ctrl-f11 reset of the machine and restored it to original factory. I then started updating the machine. First, I downloaded IE8. Then, I tried putting SP3 on the machine. Windows update would not work at all at this point - I was told to download Microsoft fix-it.

I was stick, and so I put the disk I received from Dell in to put sp3 on the machine. It loads it fen, but freezes at start up(seemingly froze - but I waited 30 mins at one point before holding down the power button). Upon restart after that, it boots to windows, but Internet does not work. Further, windows update will not open, I am told I have 30 days to finish confirming registration (Internet issue? I have it hooked up to my network).

I'm really baffled by this, and I don't want to pay right now to upgrade (not even sure the memory is sufficient). Please help! Thanks in advance.
Related:

4 responses

akboxer24 Posts 3 Registration date Friday September 27, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2013
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM
If you need any extra info please let me know
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Sep 30, 2013 at 04:51 PM
Hi akboxer24,

From the post I understand that you have performed a factory restore in your computer which was successful. You requested the recovery disc from Dell which you received. Now you want to add Service Pack 3 to your installation of Windows XP but automatic updates are not working. In order to help you I would like to know the exact text of the error message that you receive when your try to add updates to Windows XP.

Please do write back to us.

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.
akboxer24 Posts 3 Registration date Friday September 27, 2013 Status Member Last seen October 2, 2013
Oct 2, 2013 at 04:00 PM
Thank you for your response. I must update my previous post.

My problem has changed somewhat. I was able to restore the inspiron 6000 - and I felt frankly kind of dumb when it was said and done - because all I had to do was take out the restoration disk. So now the computer is restored to windows xp with SP2.

The problem has changed because I can't put on sp3, nor can I seem to use windows update at all. I attempted to open windows update from the control panel - the left side option (see also - windows update). When I click, I am taken to this page: windowsupdate.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us.

The error number on the right reads: 0x80190194

Automatic updates are turned on

I apologize for my problem changing and thus the calculus of the solution. If you have any ideas for fixing windows update and/or installing SP3 I would appreciate it. If need be I can do an f8 restoration - I have nothing on the unit at this point besides factory programs. Then we are starting with a clean slate.

Thank you again for any help you can provide. Please let me know if you need more info.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Oct 3, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Hi akboxer24,

You mentioned running MS-Fixit on your machine did you run the below mentioned MS-Fixit?

Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows Update that is not working

Also, the below mentioned articles might be useful:

Is Logged in the Windows Update.log File When the Client Queries "/autoupdatedrivers/getmanifest.asp"

How do I reset Windows Update components?

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here.
Thanks & Regards
Zohaib R
#iworkfordell