Hide rows without conditional formatting

[Closed]
-
 Beverley -
Hello,

I'm creating an Excel spreadsheet and want to give it a cleaner look by hiding the contents of a row based on the value of a cell in that row. For example, I want to hide b1:p1 if the value of a1 is blank. I can do it with conditional formatting, but I have 50+ rows and I only want them to show if there is a number in a1, a2, a3 ..... and so on. So if I put 1 in a1, 2 in a2 and 3 in a3, I should have the rest of the data in those rows populate.

2 replies

I had this same question, and after not finding an answer I thought I'd figure it out.

Here's what I did
- Created a new column that gave me a value I could filter on
- Used filter feature to include/exclude the values.

For example, I wanted to "hide" the rows where the sum of columns C, J and K were zero. So I created a new column "L" with a formula of "=SUM(C2,J2,K2)". Then I clicked on the L1 title cell, then went to Home ribbon tab and clicked Sort & Filter --> Filter. This allowed me to drop down that L1 title cell and remove the "0" from the list of allowed values.

Hope this helps!
Thank you

A few words of thanks would be greatly appreciated. Add comment

CCM 2942 users have said thank you to us this month

Oh my gosh. I got so stuck on the idea of using conditional formatting that I missed this obvious solution. I've used filters a billion times but for some reason didn't think of it for my similar situation. Thanks :)
Registration date
Tuesday November 18, 2008
Status
Last seen
August 1, 2010
In that case you should change the borders at the right top side of your screen. As far as I know.