Excel Formula

Closed
Dawn - Mar 5, 2009 at 02:32 PM
 Dawn - Mar 6, 2009 at 08:25 AM
Hello,

I wonder if somebody can help me with a pretty basic (I think) Excel formula. I would like for it to go through column A and search for a number - eg 5650T. If that number is in that field, I would like it to total the other columns in that row - eg D1:M1. I know this is simple but I've been struggling with it for hours and Excel help isn't helping me either.

Thanks!

2 responses

heavenlyz Posts 11 Registration date Saturday November 15, 2008 Status Member Last seen May 25, 2009
Mar 6, 2009 at 05:13 AM
I don't know if I got this right but the thing that you can do is to search for the number by using the CTRL+F keys and then the number you are looking for. After this you can now sum up the rows by writing the formulae =SUM(A1:Z1) or whatever you must enter in the field in which you should display the result and here you go.
Hi,

Thanks for trying but that isn't exactly what I'm looking for. In column A I have a whole series of numbers, with some of them coming up more than once. They also end up in different columns so I need the formula to say basically IF A1 (or A2, etc) has this number (5650T - there will be other numbers too that I have to put in seperate formulas) in it, add the colums for that row. I know there is a command but I'm having a hard time figuring it out. Maybe by bumping this thread somebody will know.........:)

The way you said it by using CTRL F, is the way I did it yesterday. It did work but that's very manual and time consuming.