i have an asus F5R series notebook that will not recognised dvd's in the drive. device manager shows code 10 (device cannot start). have tried to update drivers but keep coming back as up to date. please any help or ideas, apart from throwing it out the window, which I am tempted to do!!! cheers
You might have download iTunes or ROXIO or some other program that has messed with the Registry.
Try this fix direct from Microsoft:
To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click Start
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Start button, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
The system will automatically rebuild the registry records when you restart your computer.